Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea Diarrhea

Freind

Cavy Slave
Good news. My gp started drinking water on her own from the bottle. But she is also urinating a lot. Is this because of the water or something is wrong. Please advise.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
That is GREAT news! She might be peeing a lot simply because she is now drinking much more than she was. My pigs urinate about every 15 minutes, and they drink about half a bottle of water a day (each). Does her urine look normal? It should be clear to cloudy/chalky, with no gritty pieces or blood in it. See here for more info: https://www.guinealynx.info/normal.html#urine

If she's not squeaking (in pain or discomfort) when she urinates, she's probably fine. It may just seem a lot to you because she hasn't been drinking water until now.

Freind

Cavy Slave
Hello folks,
Today I took the Ariel to the vet and her teeth has to redone. But the vet also confirms that she is much better as compare to her previous visit. I also took the other GP about which I was talking. And she is perfectly fine and due to she was living alone the vet also allow us to introduce them. So I got them home and put them together and I don’t see any problem with them. By the way we I mean my daughter named her Fiona. I left the house after an hour and after few hours later my wife called and told me that they are fighting badly and making noises. She suspect that Fiona is the one how is attacking Ariel. So I asked her to separate them immediately. Then just an hour ago we put them together again and I noticed that Fiona is excited about having a pal. She was keep following Ariel, putting her head under Ariel neck. But Ariel is keep beating Fiona from her forelegs and her head and continuously making noises. Even if the Fiona gets close to her Ariel jump on the other site. Sometime I feel that she is afraid of Fiona or sometime I feel that her presence is bothering her. Now I make 2 portion in their cage. They can see and hear each other but they cannot attack each other. Even after that Fiona is trying to get to the Ariel portion but Ariel doesn’t bother about her. So please advice what should I do? Is there anyway they could be friends and stay together or do I have to return one of them. Please advise and help me out.

Shauna&Kerri

Cavy Slave
My two were cage mates before I got them, so they were used to each other already, but they still have their times where one gets on the other's nerves. They do get along most of the time now, but when we first got them, there was a time when they seemed like they were "fighting" frequently.

From what I have read here on this site, it is because they are establishing who is in charge. They will have some fights along the way, but as long as there is no blood drawn, then you should allow them to be together and work out their problems. You only need to separate if one has attacked the other so badly that there is blood drawn. It will make it worse if you separate them and then put them back together again. So my suggestion is that you take down the divider and let them get used to each other.

My husband thinks that our two piggies are fighting at night (he gets up at 4am and hears them making noises, rumblestrutting, popcorning and running around a LOT!), but from what he has described to me, they are playing and chasing each other around. Much of what you might think of as fighting is just mearly how they communicate with each other and normal behavior. Ariel probably didn't do much of that when she was alone because she didn't have another piggie to play with or another piggie to annoy her. Just think of them as sisters who will occasionally have an arguement, but that doesn't mean they can't live together!

Sirene

Cavy Slave
I think Shauna&Kerri is right - it will take time for one of the girls to establish dominance (decide who is going to be the boss). Everything I have read on here about introducing one pig to another says that you shouldn't separate them unless there is actual bloodshed. There is a LOT of good information on the GuineaLynx site - this would be a good place to start reading:
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=37

Good luck, and I'm so glad Ariel is doing better and Fiona (named after the Shrek movie?) is healthy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.