Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Do rabbits need veggies

mmas4

Cavy Slave
I feed my rabbits 2 cups each of dark leafy green every day but people tell me its bad to feed them veggies every day because it gives them diarrhea but my rabbits have never had diarrhea and I have been giving them veggies every day since I got them.

smiley222922

Cavy Slave
I don't have any rabbits; however, there diets are very simiular to guinea pigs. I dont thing that leafy greens would cause diarhea (exept maybe iceberg, but I wouldn't think so). I'm no expert however. I think it sounds like you feed them veggies correctly. others may correct me if im wrong

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
You are doing the right thing! Charlee gets veggies everyday (and a wide variety too).

CavyCrazyLady

Cavy Slave
Yes, rabbits need veggies every day. Some people go by weight, others give a salad the size of the bunny. Here is a link for feeding in general: FAQ: Diet
and one about veggies: Suggested Vegetables

mmas4

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I thought I was feeding them right.

Beka27

Cavy Slave
You're doing right by them! Daily veggies are very important, and grass hay should also be fed in unlimited ("as-much-as-they-can-eat and then some") quantities. Too many pellets are more likely to cause digestive upset than veggies.

Veggies=diarrhea is a myth. What usually happens is people get baby bunnies not realizing they are infected with coccidia (which is entirely treatable if caught in time). The bunny gets sick, and if vet care is not sought, passes away... and the owner wrongly assumes it is due to the diet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.