Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites Treat baby pig for parasites??

smiley222922

Cavy Slave
So Im adopting a baby piggy and was wondering if parasite treatments are ok for little babies. I think she is like two months old. Also Im not sure if in fact she does have any parasites, so I was wondering if I should treat her for prevention or not.
Any sugestions???
Thanks

pinky

Cavy Slave
I would have a vet check her if you're concerned. I'd be interested in knowing anyone else's opinion on treating guinea pigs with neem oil diluted 1:4 with mineral oil to naturally treat for external parasites. From what I've read, it's safe for guinea pigs and is even used in Chinese cooking. It's supposed to eliminate internal parasites, as well, if they lick themselves. I've used it one time and the only drawbacks I found were that the smell is strong and it's very oily so you have to use towels for bedding since loose bedding will stick to it.

ingrid

Cavy Slave
Pinky are you thinking of this as a treatment for lice, mites, etc? I was wondering about using natural remedies for the pigs.

For example, I thought my pigs might have UTIs. Im kind of anti-antibiotics for many reasons but from experience my UTIs were best treated with cranberry and antibiotics werent very effective at all. I dont even go to the Dr for them anymore.

Of course I know pigs arent the same as humans, but it would still be interested to know. Im thinking mouth sores might be a possible concern with cranberry.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Just some FYI. This forum does not condone nor endorse any home remedy treatments. We do not allow members to advise giving home remedies to pigs either.

Cranberry juice does not cure a UTI in pigs. In fact, it's pretty much been proven that it's not very effective in treating a UTI or using it as a preventative.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've removed my comment since it had to do with questions about natural remedies.

Last edited:

ingrid

Cavy Slave
Whoops! Sorry I can't edit my post. I didn't realize it was against the rules. I have questions for you Ly but I won't hijack this thread anymore! :D

Just wanted to clarify that I did take my pigs to the vet yesterday when I was concerned with their discolored urine and they do not have a UTI!

Last edited:

smiley222922

Cavy Slave
Lol im not looking for home remedy treatment..im not even sure if she has any parasites, i cant see any but i have a spray thats supposed to help prevent any ans kill any that are there. I was wondering it this was ok for my baby pig? I thought it may be a good idea before I introduce my two pigs.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
No. I've already stated once: DO NOT USE any sprays on pigs. Sprays are dangerous.

If you need to treat a pig for parasites, the three safe medications are Ivermectin, Advantage and Revolution. Ivermectin cannot be used on pigs under 12oz.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.