Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites mites or ringworms? HELP!

ashesforbeauty

Cavy Slave
HI everyone!
I am new here and have found your site so helpful as we just adopted a guinea pig named Ginger. We got her from a family who purchased her for their daughter, but the little girl no longer wanted to clean the cage and so daddy told her if she did not keep up with cleaning and attention to the new piggy they would find a home for her and they did. Thought I would give a little background. She is around 6 months and they purchased her from petsmart. I believe it's a girl. While I was petting her the other day I noticed a scaly, scaby spot behind her ear. There are no other spots on her anywhere. She seems to be eating fine and the only other thing I can even think to mention is that she sneezes often. So I went a a search and cant decide whether it resembles ringworm or mites. just thought I would get an opinion on here. Thanks so much!!

I have more pics, just had a hard time uploading this one.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It's hard to tell from the photo. Most guinea pigs have bald spots behind their ears, some larger than others. Is this normal dryness?

Since it's a small area, you can try using an over the counter fungal cream like Monistat or Lotrimin and rub a very small amount into the spot a few times a day. If more hair loss occurs you might consider treating for mites.

ashesforbeauty

Cavy Slave
What it reminds me of as in looks and feel is on dogs sometimes they will get those dry patches on there legs. you see it mostly in older dogs. thats what it looks like. its dry and some of the skin is white and dry. There are also a few pin point size scabs. I did notice on her other ear today a bald spot behind the ear but it does not look dry like the other one does. She gets handled quite a bit from me and the kiddos and I have not noticed us having anything funny as in ring worms. SO Im really not sure. It does not seem to bother her in the least. she dont mind me touching it. Is it possible for them to just dry skin??
Thank you for your reply!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.