Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Bad fight! Lip bleeding!

2sCompany

Cavy Slave
we have two males
phoenix and montgomery

mont is the dominant male, and phoenix was just injured

his lip is bleeding and it looks as if his lip was bit right through to the other side, (and mont also bit a huge chunk of phoenix's hair out of his back right above his butt) -

we are taking him to the emerg vet right now, but what I am wondering is:

after he is home, do we KEEP the two males separated for the rest of their lives?
what do we do?
they have been living together since they were 1 month old, and they are both 5 months old now... never fought until we got new guinea pigs (which are all caged separate) --- they have never fought THIS much before and there has never been blood shed...

what do we do when he is brought home?

they both live together in a 2x5 c&c cage

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry there was an injury. I would keep them separated until the wound at least heals and to prevent further trauma. It's possible the fighting ocurred because they're entering puberty.

After the wound is completely healed, you can try re-introducing them. Read up on social behaviors and introductions on the forums home page.

In the meantime, keep a watchful eye on the wound. Watch for early signs of infection, ie increased swelling, increased warmth, redness and check frequently for any foul odors. Guinea pigs have delicate skin and are very easily prone to infection and abscesses. If he's given an antibiotic, keep on a strict schedule. Because it's a lip injury, the area will be sensitive, observe that your pig is eating. Keep his pen extra clean as well as his food and water dishes/ bottles.

scarlett

Cavy Slave
Are any of the other piggies which are housed separately sows? Just curious. I wonder if they could smell nearby females and become aggressive?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
How many of each thing do you have? You need at least three hideys with multiple entrances/exits and at least two of other things in different parts of the cage (hay racks, water bottles, etc.).

If you were not doing those things or if one or both pigs is going through puberty, you can try reintroducing them (after puberty if that is the case). Otherwise I would make them a divided cage with a minimum of a 2x3 for each side.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.