Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Loss Lost 2 piggies from thwe same thing PLS READ and tell me what you think happened....

kalu1

Cavy Slave
I bought a girl guinea oig first off..........She was totally fine..I fe her fresh carrots and cucumber and her pellets as well as Timothy hay that she loved and gave her fresh water everyday and changed her pine bedding when needed.........then I got another guinea pig, and when I got that piggie about a week later, my exsisting piggie started losing weight drastically...and I felt a couple little scabs all over her body.......she sometimes breathed weird as well...about a week into her acting weird, I looked in her cage one day and she was lying on her side, so I picked her up and held her and she gasped for air and died in my arms :(..syhe was 6months old

So then, the piggie that I had left, I gave away because it made me too sad....

then I got a new piggie baby....cleaned out the cage/bottle/dish etc hardcoreand fed him fresh veggies, [ellets, timothy hay. fresh water and changed his pine bedding when needed.... then I noticed weighloss again..I couldnt believe this was happening, and he was only 3 months!!!! I looked on google, and I found he may have had an UPI possibly from the pine bedding..so I switched it to fleece, and also read it may be from the air conditioner...so I moved him in my room where there was no air conditioner.....it didnt help........he wasstill drastically losing weight..so I put the pine bedding back in hsi cage as the fleece got reaaallly gross........ then one day I cam home from work..the other night and he wasREALLY week..kinda lying onhis side..so I tried to feed him mashed carrots mixed with water..he wouldnt eat it and he was CRYING :*( SOO sad, I knew he was literally about to die and there was nothing I could have done, and then he died in my arm..I also carried him outside to try and give him fresh air. didnt help...he still kept crying.

I lvoe guinea pigs and want another, but I AM WAY TOO SAD!!!!!!!!!! I DONT EVER want this to happen AGAIN!! why dopes it happen?????????

thanks!@:confused:

ALSO is it normal fo them to gasp for air whn dying?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Did you buy them from a pet store?

It sounds to me like the new one was sick, and infected your first one. Then sucumbed to the illness himself. They are prey animals and can hide their symptoms until it is too late. Scabs sound like mites or ringworm too.

It is recommended that you quarantine any new guinea pigs to prevent spread of illness (which is common in pet store and breeder pigs).

Read https://www.guinealynx.info/quarantine.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html esp. the diet info.

I think you mean URI - not UPI https://www.guinealynx.info/uri.html

Pine is technically fine to use as long as it is kiln dried. Only a necropsy would tell you for sure what happened though. They should have seen a cavy vet at the first sign of illness, or at least the boy after the other one passed.

By the way, one pig was a boy and the other was a girl? You were housing two intact opposite gendered guinea pigs together?

lissie

Cavy Slave
I am sorry for your losses. I'm sorry to say this, but you could have taken the pigs to the vet when you noticed their weight lost.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your losses. One thing to consider, pine bedding can cause respiratory infection. That might have added to whatever else was ailing them. Something to think about for the next time around, if you get more. Please adopt.

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
kalu1, you really should have brought the pigs to the vet when they started to show signs of illness. Like humans, they won't get better by themselves or with some fresh air. I suggest you learn the signs of illness and line up a vet that is experienced and treats guinea pigs before acquiring any more. A good place to start would be to find a local guinea pig or rabbit rescue near you and ask them for a recommendation. Then I would get a healthy pair of guinea pigs from a dedicated rescue. These pigs have most likely already had a check up.

Here is a start using a random Ontario zip code Montreal, QC: Adoptable Pets: Petfinder+

Last edited:

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
Thats just so sad.I'm sorry you lost your little piggie.I have to agree with Cavymama,After reading a lot on this site,today i got my piggies there first fleece.And i noticed a huge difference in them straight away.Give yourself some time and adopt another piggy.I have found some of the member here very helpful and easy to approach.All the best.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
After reading a lot on this site,today i got my piggies there first fleece.And i noticed a huge difference in them straight away.

Did you read The Fleece Project" on how to prepare the fleece?

catalineh06

Cavy Slave
Okay- I just read your post and honestly I am disgusted. Why would you not take them to the vet? If the symptoms persisted for more than a week you had plenty of warning and time to go. I do not think you need to adopt another pig until you are responsible enough to give them the medical care they need. Sorry if this offends but I felt it needed to be said.

Wednesday_12

Cavy Slave
Strangely enough, my first guinea pig was allergic to dust, and this gave him scabs and respiratory problems. After taking him to the vet, we got cream for his scabs, and moved him to an area with the least dust possible. We also cleaned the cage regularly.
His symptoms went away, and he lived a happy and healthy life :)
Maybe this is something to consider for your guinea pigs? Sorry they both passed away :(

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
After reading a lot on this site,today i got my piggies there first fleece.And i noticed a huge difference in them straight away.

Did you read The Fleece Project" on how to prepare the fleece?

I did and it was wonderful.Up until 2 days ago i didnt kow what it was.In Ireland fleece is an item of clothing, so when i read all about how to use it and what it was i was very happy.My pigs look so much happier.I actually wahed it and dried it 3 times that day and yesterday morning replaced the old would shavings bedding with newspaper,towels and a comfy fleece.

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

FearThePig

Cavy Slave
Sorry to hear about your loss. The first week i had my pig, he had a knot on his neck, called the vet, they kept him for a week, and now hes all better. Call a vet next time, and you could use cat litter for bedding, i use Corn Cob bedding, my piggy loves it. Sorry i can't be more help to you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.