Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Interstitial Cystitis

soccergrl849

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to share my medical adventure for others to be aware of. Today I came home to find blood scattered around the cage. I knew it was Oscar because his bottom was all wet and mangled. I picked him up cautiously not sure whether he had gotten in a fight with his brother or something. As i lifted him up to see blood came out of his rectal area. I was horrified! I called our vet and found out the small animal vet was out till Monday but was given another exotic vet's number. When I called they were great! So concerned and willing to fit us in. We left our house and drove 25 minutes to get there. They got us into a room with a vet in probably 15 minutes. She asked many questions and shared with me that she was concerned it might be a bladder stone as he is an adult male and so forth. she said the best way to know was to do an x-ray and locate the bladder stone as she couldn't feel it. She took him away and said it should be 15 minutes or so. 40 minutes went by and finally, finally they came in and said that after three different x-rays they weren't able to find anything and that their next guess was Interstitial Cystitis. They hooked him up to fluids, gave him a good dose of vitamin C and then brought him out to show us the meds. He is on three different kinds. one to soothe his stomach before you put in the antibiotic so you don't take the good bacteria. 45 minutes later you give the antibiotic and these are twice a day. Lastly once a day he receives a anti-inflammatory. It is a lot to keep track of but I am so thankful that he didn't need the surgery that they had been talking about and I am so glad to have him home. He is upset that he has to be in a different cage from his brother but they are close enough they rub noses and lay "next" to each other.
I just had to share this story because I really feel so lucky and I know I love to read other people's success stories so I thought I would share mine. Hopefully the recovery goes well and I can update you when he is all better

What is the antibiotic they gave him?

It's great that they gave him a probiotic, I've heard of several that still don't. It can make a big difference, so that's great.

And the metacam, I've always had better luck with (as far as pain control) with giving that in the evening. I don't know why that is, but it's always been the case with me.

So glad Oscar's doing okay now and that you got him in straight away!

I have to apologize and say that I don't remember the name for the antibiotic, it has been a long day! It is however written as SMZ-TMP (TMS). The probiotic he is on acidophilus and then metacam for the pain.
I too am so glad that I noticed and was able to get him in right away! And I actually like this vet better than the other one we have been to. They took to him with such care and knowledge.

I have a concern, My other piggy, Lenny has been seperate from his sick cage mate since we left for the vet yesterday afternoon but I am seeing an odd colored pee in his cage too. It isn't bloody but it is a rusty color. It isn't always in fact it probably only 60% of the time. I have searched guinea lynx, the web and then this site with no luck on what this might be. He is eating fine and drinking and everything but I am worried that he could have what his brother has... Any insight?

Rusty/orangy colored pee just indicated pee that has been oxidized. They pee, the oxygen in the air hits it and turns it that color. Nothing to worry about.

Okay, thank you! That is so much of a relief. I was a little worried I was gonna be heading back to spend the day at the vet and, I think I have had enough of that!

In my experience bloody pee is very distinct, and obviously blood. The rust colored stuff always worries me too, but when there's blood, it's red and very obviously blood, not the orange colored stuff I see from the other pigs sometimes.

So it has now been a week and Oscar is much improved. No more blood, normal stools, food intake and water intake. The vet did however tell us that he will now very rarely be able to have leafy greens as too much calcium could be a culprit for all of this. Oscar doesn't know this yet but I know he will be very disappointed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.