Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Eco-Straw Bedding?

inde_pig

Cavy Slave
I am in the process of acquiring everything I need to adopt my first guinea pig. I was wondering if anyone has tried this bedding?

I am a diligent cleaner- that is until I started this project now I seem to spend all my time reading about guinea pigs:eek: I plan on spot cleaning everyday because I am concerned about the smell so what is the absolute best for odor control?

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Just because it says straw in it, I would say no. Straw can poke a guinea pigs eye and hurt it. Plus it doesn't do anything really to cover up smell. I would suggest carefresh. It does a GREAT job to cover up poos and oder.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Also straw/hay type beddings do not absorb well at all.

paperlady

Cavy Slave
Googling eco-straw, it seems to be basically like wood pellet bedding, except that instead of being ground-up and compressed wood, it's ground-up and compressed wheat straw. I use wood pellets, and it works well for me.

inde_pig

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the information. We at one time had a ferret and I used wood pellet type bedding and that seemed to work great on cutting down on the odors so I may go that route again.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the information. We at one time had a ferret and I used wood pellet type bedding and that seemed to work great on cutting down on the odors so I may go that route again.

This might be too hard on the little guys feet though. Go for soft products.

inde_pig

Cavy Slave
Actually I have spent most of the day reading about using fleece. The extra money I would save in the long run is really appealing. I clean regularly but only do laundry once a week but this could be the motivating factor for me to do it more often.

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
I use fleece. I have a 3X7 C&C Cage with a 1X7 upper level. It saves me uber amounts of money using the fleece. With 5 pigs, I can't smell any difference with using this or loose bedding as long as it is cleaned and washed regularly.

inde_pig

Cavy Slave
Great! I am sold. I am going to use fleece. I looked online at fleece and it was clearenced so hopefully it is clearenced in the store as well.

Harrys Dad

Cavy Slave
Check walmart clearance area I just got fleece for $3 a yard so got 4 yards going to start making more bedding for the boys tomorrow.

inde_pig

Cavy Slave
Check walmart clearance area I just got fleece for $3 a yard so got 4 yards going to start making more bedding for the boys tomorrow.

Awesome- thank you so much!!!

sophistic_chick

Cavy Slave
I personally used the eco-straw. I thought it would be a nicer option to shavings or even fleece. I found it wasn't as great as I thought it would be. I found it heavy when wet and had used yesterday's news in the past too. I would compare it to the yesterday's news. I did eventually switch back to the shavings.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.