Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Anyone read any good books recently?

These two books I read in schoold this year.
-The Outsiders By S.E. Hinton (Very Good Book!) They have a movie too! Read the book first- that is what I did. the book gives so much more detail, and you have a better undretsnding of the story in general.)
-RocketBoys (A.K.A October Sky) By Homer Hickam Jr. (Not very good at the beginning, but I think it gets better at the end! It is a memoir!!)

I just recently finished reading: "Why Do Men Have Nipples?" by Mark Leyner and Billy Goldberg, M.D. It's full of witty humor, and answers to "hundreds of questions you'd only ask a doctor after your third martini". Definitely worth checking out.

When you return books to library, you are returning big potion of what you have gained from the books as well.

I don't see it that way. I take out books from the library (I get first shot at them since I work at one) and then only if I really really like a book will I buy it. I just can't see spending $20-$30 on something I might not like.

Regarding the Twilight series,...yeah not liking it. All the sighing and descriptions of Edward's eyes; it was starting to read like a Harlequin book without the sex! And through the first book at least, Bella has to be one of the weakest and whiniest female characters in recent literature. Just not my cup of tea at all I reckon. :)

I find it nauseating that it's being compared to Harry Potter.

I read Animal Factories today. It was a good reading.

I just can't see spending $20-$30 on something I might not like..
I agree, you can't own all the books that you read unless you are very rich. Besides, many books don't have any good thing to keep. It's perfectly ok to return everything back to library.

I usually buy older, good books. They often cost $1~2, or even less. I can't really read many books fast. So I concentrate on older ones. For recent books, such as Harry Potter, I usually borrow and do a quick scan only.

By the way, I envy where you work.

I just spent 2 hours reading a really good book called "Watching Alice: Walk on Water" By Daniel Parker and Lee Miller...only to get to the ending and find out that this is the second book in the series. It was on sale at books-a-million for $3 so I bought it...and now I'm going to have to go on ebay and purchase the first and third one and however many else there may be.

You should and so should everyone else read Escape By Carolyn Jessop,This is one of the best books I have ever read. It is about a women that escapes a polygamist marriage. It is very good and at the end you will be saying You go girl!!

A good book is My Friend Flicka by mary O' Hara.

You should check out The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. It's about the 1893 world's fair and this murderer that used the fair to lure in his victims. It's really good.

Also, if you haven't read it already, check out Catch-22. I'm in the middle of reading it, and it's hilarious.

Anything by Phillipa Gregory who wrote The Other Boleyn Girl.

Has anyone read any of the Angie sage books?

I actually read The Other Bolyn Girl and I'm going to rent the movie when it comes out cause I didn't get to see it in theaters. However I wasn't very happy that they misrepresented the sisters. The girl with the blonde hair should have been switched with the girl with the brown hair...that's even how it is in the book based on the movie. I know it sounds stupid, but I catch things like that.

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Amazing Gracie: A Fogs Tale by Dan Dye and Mark Beckloff
Sight Hound: A Novel by Pam Houston
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
Are the books I have read lately the are all excellent books.

I'm currently reading The Other Boleyn Girl, and thoroughly enjoying it.

Howiethegreat - How does her other work compare to this one?

Other books that I recently read:

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill. I couldn't put this one down, even if it meant having to read it alone, in the dark. (Luckily I have a high threshold when it comes to scary stories.)

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. I really liked this book, although I did have to get used to the writing style. The first 50 pages or so were difficult to follow at times.

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. Excellent book. I couldn't stop talking about it when I finished. I even bought the film afterwards to watch with my boyfriend (he doesn't read books). Incidentally, I loved the movie as well.

I am reading A Rare Breed Of Love by Jana Kohl. It is about a dog rescued from a puppy mill and her journey in educating others about the horrors of these breeding mills and urging politicians to change the laws that regulate the industry. It is very thought provoking. It is a must buy book that you leave sitting out for any one in coming in your home to pick up and read.

I read all the Twilight series a couple times. I thought they were good, but not amazing. They were fast to read and fairly engaging, but again, I'm not crazy about them. I do NOT like Bella at all.

You shouldn't feel stupid! I'm 29 and the teen
section is still where I find most of my favorite books!

I guess it really doesn't matter because I look 16 or so I'm told. I read a lot of adult books too like all of Dan Brown's stuff and things like that, but I really find myself scooping up the teen books over and over again and the manga. It's crazy. I'll sit there reading a manga and just burst out laughing and people are seriously starting to think I'm insane.

I sometimes read The Saddle Club Series (They are a little small, but I can read up to 2.5 or more if I am in the mood for it a day!) Hehehe!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.