Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello from Qc

DORAMARIE

Cavy Slave
Hi. We are the owners of a lil sweet baby piggy. Her name is Vanilla and yes, she is a girl. We are a bit worried about her because she doesn't seem to like any veggie we present her. Any tips?
Thank you

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
She may be sick. You might want to take her to the vet if you haven't already. Try diffrent veggies, maybe she doesn't like what your giving her. Sometimes pigs are picky! My girls sure are. They only like carrots, apples, and lettus. Not cabbage or any other veggies or fruits.

DORAMARIE

Cavy Slave
I thought maybe she was young and not having any other cavy friends around not learning by imitation?

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome to the forums, first off. A lot of the time, pigs that have never had vegetables before, including young pigs, will not eat them at first. It's simply because they aren't used to them. Persistence is the key. Keep at it. I would suggest starting with a leafy green, like romaine leaves, or a smaller treat, like carrots. Just keep offering the veggies, from your hand, in the cage, and during floor time. Leave them out for a pretty good amount of time, especially in the cage. If she gets hungry or curious enough, she'll eat them! Sooner or later, I'm sure she'll learn to love them!

You do have a point with the cavy friend thing. Cavies are herd animals and need a companion. You should see if there are any other female cavies in your area to adopt from a shelter or rescue. This will let Vanilla lead a much happier and healthier life. Maybe she'll even learn new things from the new pig, like trying new veggies!

Anyways, good luck, and see you around the forums!

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
Usually cavies can do regular things such as eat veggies without a companion, but she may be going throw depression. Which is deadly for pigs! Is she eating her pellets and drinking water, oh and also playing?

DORAMARIE

Cavy Slave
Yes, she drinks a lot ( I think?), eat her regular piggy pellets. She begins to like lap time and gives lil licks on our face when put at that hight. She doesn't seem to like floor time that much so far but we keep at it. We hide lil veggies and fruits pieces everywhere for the occasion and make sure she doesn,t panic. We, my daughter and I, stay on the floor with her, reading and talking to her while she roams around.
We are very very new at this and try to get things done right. Like I said, any tips are welcomed!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.