Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Is desexing a guinea pig dangerous?

baby-wilson

Cavy Slave
Like every operation, on animals and humans, there are risks. If you have a good vet doing the procedure then it should be fine, things can go wrong though.

pigloverr

Cavy Gazer
I don't know everything about desexing but I went to my vet for a consultation so I could find out more about it. She said that she does about one a week on average and even on rats. But one thing that seemed really important was that cats and dogs aren't desexed till they are over 1kg so they can handle the anesthetic better. With guinea pigs, rats and rabbits my vet said they will do them on a minimum weight of half a kilo. Surely there is a risk in that. I mean if a dog or cat cannot handle the anesthetic on less than a kilo how are my half kilo boys supposed to make it through? This made me think twice about sacrificing my boys manliness. I just don't want to risk losing them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.