Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Question about food

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
Sorry if this is in the wrong place...

Can anyone recomend a good quality guinea pig pellet that is available in the UK? I keep hearing about oxbow and kleenmammas but I don't know if these are available over here.

I've looked on the internet a bit and thought Pascoes "guinea pig goodness" looked quite good, grass meal is the first ingrediant on the list and it contains no artificial colours or preservatives - do you think this one would be ok?

If you could post a list of the ingredients, we could give you a better opinion on the food you mentioned. As far as KM's pellets, you're right, they're not available in the UK. Several UK members have found Oxbow in shops as well as ordered it online. If you do a forum search for Oxbow you will probably find information on this. Alternately, I feel certain some other members will come along and post tips on finding the Oxbow.

Pascoes food details are as follows:

Ingrediants:
Grassmeal
Barly
Oatbran
Soya
Linseed flake
Sugar beet pulp
Wheatbran
Yeasts
Sunflower oil
Dicalcium phosphate
Vitamin and mineral supplement
Profeed (no idea what this is)
Vitamin C

No artificial colours, preservatives or antioxidants.

Will have a look for Oxbow products anyway.

I live in Northwest England. I give my older guinea pigs Wagg Optimum Guinea Pig. Although I have heard that some people have found this one at Asda, I have only purchased it through Bunny Basics (online retailer). The younger guineas get Cavy Performance. I get it from SPH Supplies, another online retailer. In my area it seems rather difficult to find good supplies in the shops.

Pascoes food details are as follows:

Ingrediants:
Grassmeal
Barly
Oatbran
Soya
Linseed flake
Sugar beet pulp
Wheatbran
Yeasts
Sunflower oil
Dicalcium phosphate
Vitamin and mineral supplement
Profeed (no idea what this is)
Vitamin C

No artificial colours, preservatives or antioxidants.

Will have a look for Oxbow products anyway.

There shouldn't be beet pulp in anything you give your guinea pig as well as oil. This is not a very good pellet.

check this link out: Guinea Lynx :: Pellets

Last edited:
(broken link removed)

Thanks for all your help guys.

I've just found a website that I can order Oxbow products from, including cavy cuisine and various types of hay. Even better, they are linked to Reading Guinea Pig Rescue, and they donate a percentage of what you pay when you buy from them. So I can buy great piggy food and help rescue pigs at the same time - hooray!❤️

Thanks for all your help guys.

I've just found a website that I can order Oxbow products from, including cavy cuisine and various types of hay. Even better, they are linked to Reading Guinea Pig Rescue, and they donate a percentage of what you pay when you buy from them. So I can buy great piggy food and help rescue pigs at the same time - hooray!❤️

Glad to hear that! Good luck!

I have Pasoces at the moment because they didn't have any Supa Guinea Excel at the shop. That is what I usually use. I think it has beet pulp or whatever it is in too though. How much have UK-ers had to spend in a shop to get Oxbow?

I've never seen Oxbow in a shop (that's why I asked on here) but on the websites I've just looked at it seems to be about £3.50 per kilo.

Not only does the Pascoes contain beet pulp but it doesn't specify what the grass meal is. In a quality pellet, the first ingredient should be timothy hay or alfalfa hay (depending on the formula and if it's for young or older pigs). This one has too many grain products (most likely grain by products), beet pulp and contains yeasts.

Here is a link to the UK section of the forum. (broken link removed) It is probably the best place to put questions about UK stuff, though I am glad you found an on line source for Oxbow nonetheless! (just spent half an hour searching, cos I was sure there was a thread in UK re. pellets - but can't find it! I give up!)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.