Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litter box question

kimklempa

Cavy Slave
Since last month I bought a litter box, ok they use it 10% of the time only, what am I doing wrong, the pet store owner said "do not put shavings in it" use something else, so I used newspapers, when that didn't work I tried shavings and they pooped in it but peed in the cage, ok then I tried the litter stuff in the box, when peed on it cloops together, so 2 cloops all day, and the rest of the pee is in the cage, how do I train them to go just in the box? any ideas????
They are 3-4 months old., is it too late? Kim

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
In my case, the litter box was a waste of money except that my pigs like to sleep in it. It is in fact the cleanest corner in the cage. I tried moving it to their most used toilet corner but they just move to a new corner. I've dried using different bedding in it. When I cleaned the cage, I would keep soiled bedding in the litter box and clean everywhere else. I've tried using clean bedding in it. Nothing changes, they won't use it as a litter box. I've given up.

Emrielle

Cavy Slave
I also have a little enclosure where I put shredding for them to potty in, well, one pig uses it to pee and poop, but the other just sleeps in it and uses the rest of the cage as a toilet, so I haven't figured out what to do either. My only guess is that it depends on the pig and what HE wants to do. Others suggest that your can train them to use the box, but then there is another reasoning that guinea pigs aren't trainable. So in my opinion, I doubt you'll ever get them to use the box only. Though if you figure out how, please, do share.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I used one for a while, but gave up. My boys thought it was just a "bed-box"!!! I haven't been able to train them, and I really don't think it's all that big of a deal. =)

kimklempa

Cavy Slave
yes

Yes I'm finding them sleeping in it also.... so I'm trying to put 3 bowls of hay, pellets and veggies in each corner w/ the potty in the other, and seeing if that will work, only on day 2 of that, the potty is being used, I'm seeing that but so it's the whole cage, I'm getting tired of trying, I'm was hoping most people would say it takes time that way I don't give up.. but i'm sure this subject has been talked to death and I'm just the late comer., thanks for the replies I'll keep trying and keep you posted if I have any good results

KK

Treen

Cavy Slave
Mine were easily convinced to use a litter box or return to the cage when they're out and about wandering around the house. However, when I tried to see if they'd use one within the cage, they weren't having any of it! I think they see the cage as their turf so as far as they're concerned, they'll go where they jolly well like!

Denise

Cavy Slave
Mine are "paper trained". When they are out for floor time and have to go, they find the nearest piece of paper or return to their hidey-hole (under their cage) and use the waterproof pad we are protecting the carpet with. We very rarely have accidents directly on the floor. We have also given up on the litter box idea.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.