Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Should I boycott the Bodyshop?

Lush's prices are so expensive! Are there any cheaper non animal tested brands?

I think, like a lot of things, you pay for what you get.

Fairly traded things do cost more - that is because this is the FAIR price to pay for them. Cheaper products usually mean that someone, somewhere along the line is being cheated - which usually means the producers. This often means that they are literally 'slave labour'. This may seem good for us - the consumer - we get the product at a cheaper price, but at a dreadful cost to the producers who really need to get a decent price for their products.

There probably are cheaper non animal tested brands - some supermarket brands and large chain chemist own brands - but their ethics in other areas may well reek of profit.

Last edited:
Shower Jellies, Face masks and those things you put in the bath.

I just looked over the Lush website, and I am SO jealous now that it's not in the US. I'm an absolute bath product freak! If anyone feels the need to suck up to a Mod, just let me know, and I'll give you my address for a gift packacge. :D

I thought the one on Princes street store had closed! Woops. I hate Princes street, It's gotten so scheemy, but I will try Ocean Terminal next time I'm near there.

I bought a mascara from the Body Shop, because I still support their principles, and the alternative was £14.99. So my mascara from Body Shop was £8. I think the cheapest one in Boots was about £4, but it's so long since I bought one I can't remember much except that it was cheap, so my price is a guess. Non-animal tested stuff is pricey, but I can't deal with the guilt of buying something cheaper that is tested when there is a non-animal tested alternative. Tesco and Sainbury's have a lot of stuff, ie. their own brand shampoo, which isn't animal tested.

Sabriel, I have mild eczema, and the doctor told me to use aqueous cream. It comes in a big tub from the pharmacy and you can buy it here off prescription cheap too. It says on the tub that you can use it in place of soap. It works like that, but is a little greasy, and I've only really used it on small patches not all over. You've probably tried this though? It is very mild though, I can use it to moisturise my eyelids with no problems whatsoever.

OK Muffin - I don't live in Edinburgh anymore (been over 10 years - though my folks are there) - maybe the Lush on Princes Street has closed down - phone no. was 557 3177 (sorry) (But if it's scheemy anyway - I'd go to Ocean Terminal, which was still there the last time I visited!)

PM - are there really no shops in the US? I know there are branches across the globe. You can mail-order products from the UK - at a price!!! I think there are shops in Canada - that would be cheaper (?)

Aqueous cream - I've used that too, and can vouch for it's gentle qualities - unless in the grips of a major outbreak, and emulsifying ointment for extra dry patches - but am not so sure that they're not tested on animals.

I have never heard of it. Maybe we just don't have it up here in Canada. We tend to get the short end of the stick when it comes to nifty things. Can you like post a picture? Or a brand name? I have to go to the drug store this week anyway. I can look for it there.

I did go to the doctor for this problem twice (misdiagnosed as another problem at first) in the end it was recomended that I stay away from harsh soaps, use water proof moisterizer on my hands (since they are most likely to be exposed. I moisterize at least once a day) and I was given a perscription for a hydrocortizone.

I don't think this can be lumped in with eczema though. It seems to be an stronger version of a heriditary glue allergy my mother's side of the family suffers from. I've had this since birth. In my other relatives it's only band-aid glue. I just seem to have it worse.

I must admit the soap part of the allergy is very mild compared to the band-aid part (mild being little water filled bumps that burst) Last time I used a No-Name band-aid at a friends I took it off at home to find bleeding welts underneath. It also swelled a bit. Not very fun, though neither is eczema I hear.

True!

Aqueous cream is basically the base from which most moisturisers are made - without all the additives (which are usually what causes the allergies). Emulsifying ointment is similar, though being an ointment, is a thicker, clearer base.

Here's another thread on Lush:

(broken link removed)

Thanks PM for showing me how to do that! (Am I beginning to sound sooky?!!)

I have never seen that for sale in Canada. Do you get it at a special shop? It sounds like something useful to stick in an empty lip gloss pot to wash up with in public washrooms. I could even scent it myself with essecial oils. That way I know all the ingredients.

I can only use bar soap right now. It would be nice to be able to whip up something a bit more luxurious.

You've got me on to an idea now. Maybe to compliment my bar soap I should start making some home brew cosmetics. Again with the advatange of knowing whats in it and using more home grown inredients. :D

You get it from the chemist shop (pharmacy?) in Scotland/UK. You have to ask behind the counter for it. It's so cheap - I reckon that if they sold it on the shelves, no one would buy anything else. I got them both prescribed in huge 500g tubs (you can get it non-prescription too), the ingredients are :

Aqueous Cream BP
Cetostearyl Alcohol, Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, Liquid Parrafin and White Soft Parrafin, Phenomethanol 1%w/w and Purified Water to 100%

Emulsifying Ointment BP
Emulsyfying Wax BP 30% w/w, White Soft Parraffin BP 50% w/w and Liquid Paraffin 20% w/w

...which took ages to type - but when compared to most moisturisers, is barely anything!

I think mixing your own concoction is a great idea - I've made my own midgie repellent before, using aqueous cream (with only marginal success!).

Bear in mind that these are pharmaceutical products - it is likely that there has been animal testing - if not of the products themselves, then by the companies that produce them.:sad:

The exact description of my stuff is ambiphilic dermatological cream.

Thanks.

I'm having a go at making my own bath salts tomorrow. I need something to give my MIL for mother's day (we are going back home this weekend. They live 4 hours drive away) Since a batch is 3 pounds I'll give her some and some soap and a candle I think.

I'll post the link with the directions if it all works out :) Since almost all the ingredients are have either been around before animal testing existed or are from the kitchen it will be 100% cruelty free. And cheap. :)

jarbax said:
OK Muffin - I don't live in Edinburgh anymore (been over 10 years - though my folks are there) - maybe the Lush on Princes Street has closed down - phone no. was 557 3177 (sorry) (But if it's scheemy anyway - I'd go to Ocean Terminal, which was still there the last time I visited!)

PM - are there really no shops in the US? I know there are branches across the globe. You can mail-order products from the UK - at a price!!! I think there are shops in Canada - that would be cheaper (?)

Aqueous cream - I've used that too, and can vouch for it's gentle qualities - unless in the grips of a major outbreak, and emulsifying ointment for extra dry patches - but am not so sure that they're not tested on animals.

Lush is still at 44 Princess street & Ocean Terminal :)
Where abouts in the US are you?I can check it out for you x

Sabriel said:
Thanks.

I'm having a go at making my own bath salts tomorrow. I need something to give my MIL for mother's day (we are going back home this weekend. They live 4 hours drive away) Since a batch is 3 pounds I'll give her some and some soap and a candle I think.
Maybe you can mix her up some fizzy bath salts. Part of my job is making bath salts and such and I came up with this recipe. None of the measuring is exact so you can't really screw it up.

Ingrediants
Course Sea Salt (any salt will do)
fragrance oil or essential oil
citric acid crystals(available at most health food stores or wine making shops)
Baking soda
Food coloring if you want it colored

Pour ~2 cups (coffee sized mugs are fine) of sea salt into a bowl. Add ~2 tablespoons each citric acid and baking soda. Mix the dry ingrediants together well. Add fragrance oil to scent preferance (heavy or ligh scent). If you want more oil in it without adding scent use any good body oil (like grapeseed or avacado - Do NOT add water). Add food coloring to color. Use caution and go light when adding the coloring. The water in it could activate all the fizz away.

Keep the salts in an air tight container to keep out moisture. Water activates the fizz. Test your bath salts by sprinkling some into a glass of water. They should fizz nicely. If you want more fizz then add more citric acid and baking soda.

This stuff also makes a great foot scrub. Just use fine salt in it, not course. The way to use it is to rub oil on your feet then scoop up some of the bath salts and massage your feet with it liberally. Then plop your feet into a warm tub of water. The salts will start fizzing and relax your aching, stressed out feet while softening.

For added pleasure drop several marbles into the bottom of the tub of water and roll them under your feet while soaking. It's like getting an extra massage.

That sounds cool. Some of that stuff would be hard to get in my horribly underserviced area, but I will keep the recipe in my book and get the ingredients when I have a chance to go up town. It costs almost $5 round trip on transit here now! I make sure I do a lot of things each trip. On Sundays I get a cheap 2 person day pass and my husband and I do all of our shopping up town then.

This idea was kinda a last minute thing. My husband is never useful in helping me pick something for his mom! When my mom was speaking to me it was easier just to pick up something simlar for both at the same time.

Here's the one I'm using: (broken link removed) I do like that it gives instructions on how to make infused oils. I'm having a bugger of a time finding essential oils.

jarbax said:
I have eczema, and therefore very sensitive skin. Like you Sabriel, I can use most of the body shop products, but for 'soap', I use Lush every time. I'm afraid it is a bit of trial and error to see what your skin will/wont react to - but a lot of their stuff is very gentle. Not only is it only tested on humans, it contains mostly natural ingredients and many products are vegan. The assistants are usually friendly enough if you have a shop near you - I think they would probably give you a wee sample of a bar or two, to see how your skin reacts before splashing out. They sell stuff in different sizes too. I use their deoderants too - the solid bar kind ( or rock crystal from health food shops.) Isn't most health food shop stuff anti - animal testing too? (Lush sprung out of Beauty Without Cruelty which were cosmetics sold in health food shops.)

Proctor and Gamble and the other nasty giants do get into everything.

Muffin, there are two Lush shops in Edinburgh! One at the East end of Princes Street, the other in the Ocean Terminal in Leith!

What products did you use for your excema?

If you havent already try dream cream its really good for you skin and has alot of natural ingredients in it such as Oat Milk,Rose Water,Olive Oil and Cocoa Butter.

Otherwise there is other products such as Sympathy for the Skin,Skin Sin or Fresh Pharmacy are all products I would reccomend xx

Sabriel - I'll post or send you my recipe for making bath bombs too. If you make up a big batch you can keep them around for last minute gifts.

I also have a great sugar face scrub, scalp scrub, body scrub, herbal bath satchets, etc.. All of which can me made with household products.

Ooooh! Those sound yummy VJ!

VJ, could you perhaps send me a copy of those too? I do lots of kids craft clubs - and those sound like ideal ideas for a session or two. ( Okay - that's just my excuse - they sound great for me too!!!) Or maybe you could post them on here - 'beauty recipes' to go along with the 'veggie recipes' threads!

Honeybee - I love Dream Cream! I mostly use Skin Drink, Helping Hands and the Ultra Bland cleanser (as well as the deoderants). I also find the bath melts are less drying than the bath bombs. Thanks for your recommendations - I will give them a go! (any old excuse!!!)

Jarbax, what on earth did you try and use as a midgie repellent?! Not much works except that really superstrong DDT stuff- which can melt plastic if you're not careful. Ditto on the animal testing, most pharmacy stuff probably has been used on animals.

Sabriel, I've seen TCP invisible spray-on bandage, would that help?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.