Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Leaving Dogs Out In The Cold

JackSpicerRules

Cavy Slave
I was walking to my bus stop today and this black dog walked out in front of me. This dog and one other one live in a house right near my bus stop, so I looked at him and his friend...and noticed they got out of their backyard. They opened the gate and got out. And their owners weren't home. Plus, it was about 30 degrees outside and really foggy. I was crying at the bus stop, for some reason I couldn't stand to see them out there like that... :weepy: Luckily, the dogs stayed near the house and their neighbor put them back in the backyard. Unfortunately, they were still outside. At least they weren't out in the street... the house is right near a really busy road.

I needed to vent *sighs* I don't know if it was very important, but it ticked me off :mad: People shouldn't do that to dogs, or any animal, for that matter.

Anyone else had a experience similar to this?

Marlania

Cavy Slave
Oh definitely. Sadly, that's a common situation here. When I first moved into my current neighborhood, a woman, her young daughter, and two small chihuahuas lived a few houses down. Everyone here rents land from the same owner whose veterinary office is only a couple of houses away from mine, and he cleary stated that he encouraged people who owned pets to be responsible for their animals. He didn't want animals living outside, and he did not allow dogs to live on chains or to roam around the neighborhood. Well, of course, there's always someone who doesn't listen, and that person happened to be the lady with the two chihs.

These dogs were small (obviously), and one wasn't even full grown, but they roamed anyway. She let them outside because their barking annoyed her. Well, if their barking annoyed her, their owner, imagine how it annoyed everyone else here. It's not difficult to keep animals indoors. One of my dogs alone outweight both dogs by 90 lbs., and he and my Lab are strictly indoors except for bathroom and exercise time. On top of that, the dogs weren't very socialized, and they constantly used our yard as a bathroom so I was waiting to pick my battle. Until then, I just tried to ignore them when they came around to bark at me and my two dogs (90 lb. lab and a 100 lb. border collie/something huge mix) when I took them out for bathroom breaks.

So one day, it was freezing and raining, and I was working on a paper. I heard the chis barking (as usual) and looked out the window, and the larger white one was covered in mud. I mean COVERED in mud. It was ridiculous. Night was coming, the temperature was dropping, and the rain was getting worse. I called animal control, who spoke to the woman about leaving her small dogs roam unsupervised and off-leash outside in the mud, rain, and cold. Later, the vet talked to her about it, too. Eventually, she started to keep the dogs inside, and months after, they moved. But before they moved, the dogs disappeared, so I have no idea what happened to them. I just hope they're not wet, mudding, and freezing anymore.

I live in a very quiet neighborhood, but I can't say that the majority of pet owners who live here are responsible. Only a few weeks ago, my husband came home from work, and when he opened his car door, he knocked a boxer puppy in the head! He didn't know where it came from and didn't see it. So when he caught the dog to check its tags (which, of course, weren't there), a lady comes running up to him and snatches the dog as if Brett was going to steal it. He realized, then, that the lady lived in the back of the neighborhood, which is why he didn't know about the dog. A few weeks ago, these same people got a pitbull puppy who they literally drag down the road when they actually walk it. Hopefully these owners are better than I think they are.

And finally, one of our other neighbors (not sure if they live here anymore either, as they live nextdoor to the boxer and pitbull people.) These people are horrible, and their pit (can you tell they're popular here?) actually ran away to my house. One day, Brett was cooking outside, and when I walked outside, I said, "Hey, there's a pitbull behind you." He thought I was joking, but when he turned around, there was Blade. So Brett walked him back to his house and five minutes later, guess who came back. Blade was living outside, tied out with a rope that broke, which was connected to some kind of lead. I didn't notice his condition the first time he came, although I clearly saw he was skinny. The second time he came, this is what I saw:

That's his elbow. Both were covered in sores, some from bot flies. He also had a huge knot on his back foot, mange, and a million other things.

He was skinny, although not emaciated. Obviously, he was underfed so I fed him, gave him water, and treated him for fleas before the ACO came. (He rode to the shelter in the front seat of the officer's truck.:D )

Blade's story does have a happy ending, however. After Brett returned Blade again and the owner did nothing (he didn't even answer the door again, and this was five minutes after the first time Blade arrived), I called animal control. Because of the dog fighting problem here, the shelter is very strict with who they adopt pits and pit mixes to. Meanwhile, the shelter called the vet/landowner to report the situation, and he told the shelter to *not* inform the owners and that he would talk to them. They never looked for Blade or even questioned us about him. The shelter kept Blade hidden until I could place him with a rescue, but before that happened, a good home came along (and passed the police check). Blade was adopted about by a solider who was later deployed for Iraq, but I think his owner is back now. The shelter manager sees him often and gives me updates when I go there. Blade lives indoors now, is healthy , and his skin as cleared up, although his elbows are pretty scarred.

Wow, did I rant or what? I can go on forever about irresponsible owners. Can you tell? :crazy:

Carissa

Cavy Slave
It is important and I'm glad you care. Its something that I've argued about with so many people. Manitoba winters are very very cold with sharp winds and I know a lot of people that keep Labs and other short haired dogs outside all winter with only a tiny doghouse for shelter. They'd rather have their dog suffer outside than have hair on their couch.

When we bought our house there were 2 cats that lived on the yard. At that time I had pets already so for the safety of our other animals we couldn't have them inside. So we built them a heated house with a heated water dish. After the one cat had her kittens everyone got spayed and they always go to the vet when needed. I consider their quality of life very good and I do the best I can for them but I do wish I could bring them all inside with us. I really do believe that pets belong in the house with the rest of the family.

Marlania

Cavy Slave
Carissa said:
I really do believe that pets belong in the house with the rest of the family.

Agreed. I wouldn't feel comfortable with any of my animals outside.

There's a stray cat (well, there's more than one, but this one in particular) who visits us often. I call her/him/it Mouth because she's so noisy. Since we've lived here, I've seen her all over the place, but no one claims her so I don't know if she really does have an owner or not. Apparently she's had good experiences with people and isn't feral because she comes running when she sees me and begs to be petted and held. So when I see her, I say, "Hey, Mouth!" and she starts talking. I have never heard a cat this talkative before. Even when we do yardwork, she hangs out with us and zooms around the yard meowing the entire time. I'm considering trapping her and taking her with us when we move again. The only problem is that I haven't seen her in a while, but I think she may be living under the empty house next door. So as we get closer to moving, I'll see if I can find her.

laura220

Cavy Slave
When I lived back in Florida there was this one German Shepard always fenced in a backyard. When ever I walked by the house walking my dogs he'd bark so desperately, not aggressively, as if he wanted to come out. The family ended up having children so they didn't have time for him. His voice got SO hoarse from all the barking then I think in the end he was pretty much mute. Finally the family had him euthanized.

I really wish I had done something to improve his life. Though I couldn't take on another dog I could've walked and played with him regullarly like I did with 2 other neighbors outdoor dogs.

I also remember another house- it was empty for a long time but had a large yard where at least 20 black cats roamed. I started feeding them but noticed somebody else was too. I was so happy to hear a couple moved in, trapped all the cats- spayed/neutered them and treated them. They took at least 8 of the cats indoors and there were about 3 that remained outdoor cats. A few of the other cats were euthanized due to diesese and I'm sure a few more were adopted out.

One more..hehe. Right behind my house lived a rottweiler. I'd go to the back fence and just talk to her and throw her some treats. She never came out of that yard. It was sad. it was worse when the family got another rottweiler pup. I'm not sure what happened to the two in the end.

Hansel

Cavy Slave
I have always had dogs growing up, and right now my parents have 4. They have 65 acres out in the country and have 2 acres around the house invisible fenced. The dogs come inside at night and when the weather is too cold for them to be out. I know that there are different circumstances in regards to animals being outside, but just because a dog spends part of their day outside doesnt mean that the owner is ignorant. Our dogs all have very thick coats and when they are inside, it doesnt take them too long to go beg at the door to go back out. They also have insulated dog houses and a small insulated shed that they can go into as well.

I am of the opinion that there is a right way and a wrong way to do things. Its not fair to any animal that is forced to be in an environment that they are not safe in. IE, a poorly fenced in yard, a dog with too thin of a coat to be outside, etc. The 4 dogs my parents have are all very well bonded as well. I dont think it is right to have a single dog that is outside that gets no attention from its owners or another dog.

I also know too many people who have "indoor" dogs who are kept in a cage with no food or water during the time the owners are at work. This is often more than an eight hour day. Persoanlly my bladder wouldnt last that long without given a restroom break. I think that is horrible. We talk here about how important it is for our pigs to have enough space to move, but is it fair to any dog to be crammed in a cage for half the day?

Carissa

Cavy Slave
We talk here about how important it is for our pigs to have enough space to move, but is it fair to any dog to be crammed in a cage for half the day?

I totally agree with you. People sometimes ask me why their dog rips apart their bed or whines all the time or pees in the crate and it all comes down to the dog being left alone all day in a tiny space. I'm like, Duh, how would you like to spend the whole day locked in the closet, you'd do wierd things too out of boredom?

I think in the situation of your parent's dogs they have more than one dog so they keep each other company, you bring them inside during extreme weather and they stay on the yard where they're safe, that sounds like a pretty good life to me. Our family had a Samoyed for nine years and his life was much the same only my mom would spend at least 4 hours a day playing, brushing and walking him outside and we would play with him after school because we only had one dog . He didn't like being inside in winter but sometimes came inside in the summer when it was too hot. I think he was very happy. I agree, its all in how it's done. But so many people chain them up outside and only feed and water them.

Leaving Dogs Out In The Cold

guineapiglvr14

Cavy Slave
What kind of dog is that Carissa? It is very cute!

Carissa

Cavy Slave
He was our Samoyed, Chance. We had to put him down this last June because his arthritis was so bad and he had a lot of skin problems. We loved him dearly and our hearts were broken but I would never get another one because they (at least ours was this way) can't be in the house with the family, he just got too hot. Ours was also twice the size of the breed standard which I think caused his severe arthritis and hip problems. The breed comes from Siberia so the colder it was outside the happier he was. He had a really nice doghouse but he almost always slept on a big snow drift.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.