Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newspaper Is Newpaper Ok For Bedding?

Astrantia

Cavy Slave
Ok, I know pine shavings are bad... I'm not in an area where I can get alternatives. And I'm trying to save on cash etc. Is newspaper and shredded newpapers ok to use for my piggy? I use a comb of newspaper and towel rags right now.

LeonThePiggyMAn
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Astrantia

Cavy Slave
Ok! Thank you :)

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave
I understand that we all have money issues, but don't you love your piggie enough to do the best for him and make sure he lives in a clean and comfortable enviornment? If the expense of taking proper care of your piggie supercedes your commitment to proper care maybe you need to rethink your reason for having one. I am certainly not rich, but I would spare no expense to take proper care of my boy. I have heard others say that they can't feed vegetables and such when they are short on money - would you deprive your child of milk? I guess I just don't understand why someone would acquire a pet that they couldn't take proper care of.

morrigan

Cavy Slave
I understand you, Astrantia. I tried towel with newspaper underneath. But then I got tired of washing two large towels and I'm running out of newspaper as I have to change everyday.

I used pine shavings again. So far my pigs are safe with them. I've used pine for 6 months now.

You should have plenty of newspaper coz believe me they get filthy easily and you have to change more often.

Mom to Cujo. Using newspaper and/towel doesn't mean you're not giving the best for them. As long as they're keeping the cage clean, it doesn't matter what bedding you use (of course it should be safe for guinea pigs). Maybe Astrantia's saving the money for other things like food or vet or other stuff for her guinea pig. And newspaper isn't a bad alternative as a bedding.

cavylover

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave
After reading posts all over this site I have to wonder about people sometimes. They want a gp, get a gp and then can't afford to take proper care of it. I don't see how you can keep newspaper clean unless you change it every hour. There are lots of posts looking for help to avoid vet bills, or cage investment and people have said they can't always feed veggies because they don't have the money. Why get an animal if you can't take proper care - that is all I am asking. I know that I wouldn't have a child if I couldn't take proper care of it and I wouldn't get a pet that I couldn't take proper care of. Parents allow their kids to get a gp and then won't supplement their care. A child is not financially capable of taking total care of any animal

cavylover

morrigan

Cavy Slave
First off, kids grow and their needs differ as they grow up. With guinea pigs, they have constant needs, from birth till they get old. They will still eat veggies, hay, pellets and water day in day out. So don't compare a kid from guineas because kids are human and guineas are animal.

I believe Astrantia has only one guinea pig and I don't think her pig will soil her cage that quick in an hour.

Cavy supply here is not as 'complete' as you have there. We don't have hay, no critical care, or whatever. All we have here for bedding is a pine shaving unlike there, you have lots to choose from.

I know Astrantia is giving the best she can for her pig even if we lack supplies here.

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave
I wasn't singleing her out - I just have read so many posts from people that seem to be interested in only saving money - if I offended anyone I am sorry. I have a child and a guinea pig -yes their needs are different but they both have needs just the same. Anyway, I am sorry if I offended anyone and wasn't picking on anyone in particular. I am sorry if it came across that way.

cavylover

Astrantia

Cavy Slave
mom to cujo said:
I understand that we all have money issues, but don't you love your piggie enough to do the best for him and make sure he lives in a clean and comfortable enviornment? If the expense of taking proper care of your piggie supercedes your commitment to proper care maybe you need to rethink your reason for having one. I am certainly not rich, but I would spare no expense to take proper care of my boy. I have heard others say that they can't feed vegetables and such when they are short on money - would you deprive your child of milk? I guess I just don't understand why someone would acquire a pet that they couldn't take proper care of.
I rarely get annoyed on the internet, but what you said has really ticked me off. How dare you accuse me of not providing the best enviroment for my piggy. Before you go shooting your mouth off, maybe you should have some solid facts to back it up with. Not that I need to justify myself to you, but I will for the sake of everyone else here:

1. I researched Guinea Pigs for a very long time before I bought one. I was aware of their needs.

2. If I wasn't trying to give the best care I can possibly provide them I wouldn't be here at this forum, asking for advice. I wouldn't care.

3. I assume your American, Canadian, British or such. You can easily go to the nearest pet store and get all you need for your piggy. I live in the Philippines. Pet supplies are mostly imported, in fact ALL piggy stuff if imported. Most people don't even know what Guinea Pigs are here! This causes problems, because supplies are irradic. There is often no supplies to be had. I have 2 choices. Pine (which causes my piggy to sneeze) or towels and newspaper. Given the choice I choose THE BEST for my piggy, being newspaper and towels.

4. People in the Philippines on the whole DO NOT look after animals very well at all. I knew I could provide better care for my piggy than anyone else that might buy her. I can imagine what treatment the rest of the piggies bought by other people will probably get.

5. Currently I do only have 1 piggy. She has a 4x2 C&C cage with an upper level. She has fresh veggies everyday, even if I can't afford veggies SHE STILL HAS THEM. I go without. She is very clean. She only soils one corner of her cage, which I clean everyday. The rest of the cage only needs cleaning once a week. I regulary check, but it's always clean, no soiled dirty paper.

People like you make me sick. Getting on your high horses ranting on when you are totally naive to the situation. Wake up and try and see the rest of the World. Not everyone has it as easy as you over there.

Next time I suggest you pick on someone that actually DOESN'T look after their piggies.

Last edited:
cavylover

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
I'm from Malaysia. I've 2 GP in a 2x4 + 2x1 upper level. I use newspaper + shredded newspaper also. It works fine for me & my GP also. Over here, we may not have as much options as other countries also and these bedding are quite expensive here... maybe because of imported. Bedding cost is much more expensive than foods. So far from what I read from internet or forums, newspaper & shredded newspaper r quite a good option also. GP love it...

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave
To everyone that feels the need to ssend me replies---I am sorry if I offended anyone! First of all I didn't realize that your supplies were so limited. Second, I stated earlier that I wasn't singleing anyone out and didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings or insinuate that anyone in particular was mistreating or neglecting their piggies. I am truly sorry!

aimeeinohio

Cavy Slave
newspaper

I don't see how you can keep newspaper clean unless you change it every hour.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
We use newspaper and it's fine. I line the cage with a thick layer of newspaper, put shredded newspaper in one end, and shavings in the other end (the end he potties in), and I pull out wet stuff everynight but that's it. I change the cage completely once a week.

Aimee

gp cage

Cavy Slave
I dont think newspaper is that good

cavylover

Treen

Cavy Slave
I know there's been a disagreement on this thread (which looks to have been sorted out now, which is great), but the topic is still a valid discussion point. I can't see the harm in people adding their experiences of using newspaper as bedding as long as it stays on topic.

LizBee

Cavy Slave
Newspapers

I've had my piggy for 4 years and he is thriving in his C&C cage lined with newspapers. I give him a big giant handful of hay every day which he loves to nest into. Sometimes he 'nests' in his towels too. I remember when we first got my GP my husband wondered if the ink from the newspaper would harm him - that's probably what the question from Cujo's Mom was really getting at. Well, I have to say that I have one of the healthiest piggies on the planet! He loves to shred his newspaper and only eats small amounts. I find that if he has enough of other stuff (hay, veggies) to chew on then he rarely eats the newspaper. I try to line the cage with the parts of the newspaper that have the least print - the big one page ads, etc.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.