Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Boars possibly fighting

BeckJean

Cavy Slave
So my 2 boys were keeping me awake chatting and then I noticed a lot of teeth chattering so I got up and turned on the lights to watch them. Lumos was all puffed up and occasionally tried to mount Nox. At one point Lumos lunged at Nox. At that point I opened 2 of the doors to the cage so I could separate if needed. After a couple minutes of more chattering I decided to take them out and inspect them for injuries. Lumos was fine and Nox seemed to be looking for him so I put Lumos back and tried getting Nox. In my attempt to get Nox they were still not pleased with one another. Just before I caught him he was super close to Lumos and I saw a chunck of fur fly. When I inspected Nox I found what looked to be a fresh scratch but it wasn't actively bleeding just like the little amount of blood from a minor scratch that doesn't cause drips or anything. I'm not sure if it was Lumos who caused it or something in the cage when he was running from me. I decided to use some extra grids to separate them just in case and did my best to cover most of it with fleece to lower the space they can see each other. Nox keeps biting and pulling at the grids and im worried he will hurt himself while lumos occasionally goes over to chatter his teeth. I also noticed that Nox had a fur patch underneath his stomach closer to his back end that looked like the fur was new cause it wasn't as long. I've noticed a little more fur in the cage than usual but figured it was them shedding now that it's getting colder or them getting bigger cause they're only about 9-10months old.

I've no clue what to do and am super worried. Does anybody have advice?? Also I just started a new job so I can't stay home to watch them so I'm worried they'll fight when I'm not home

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

How big is the cage? How old are the boars?

How big is the cage? How old are the boars?
The cage is ~7grids by 2.5grids (8ft x 3ft) so it's 24sq ft. They're approximately 9 or 10 months old.

All of their hideys have 2 holes so they're more like tunnels than houses. I only had 1 hay rack but I had never witnessed them become territorial over it and I've been home all day the last few months. I also only feed them in one bowl because eveytime I've tried to feed separately in the past I would watch and they just eat one bowl together and than move on to the next bowl together.

They've had small squabbles before trying to mount each other but nothing this serious so I had thought they got their hierarchy figured out.

For more background they usually love to sleep near each other, very rarely do they sleep on opposite sides of the cage. They don't cuddle to sleep just in the same vicinity. Like right now both of them are laying down right next to the divider at the one part where they can see each other with no signs of aggression. Could last night just been a fluke? Boars possibly fighting

Yes, it could have been a fluke. And they're in the big middle of adolescence, so there's going to be some squabbling. If it were me, I'd leave them together and just watch them carefully. It doesn't sound like they're really fighting.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.