Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Special Needs Issues with immune system and need special food

Wolfiemix

Cavy Slave
Hello, I finally got my guinea pig Snowball to the vet and besides a paragraph of horrible issues with her, one was that her immune system isn't really working anymore. You can look at her vet medical thread for pictures of her and some things about her before the trip. I will be updating the thread with her illnesses and info soon.

Anyway, I need a pellet food (preferred) or advice of veggies and fruits or treats that will boost her immune system. I have another vet trip on the 15th so we can see how her system and illnesses are doing after giving daily meds and if it doesn't get better, we are considering euthanization (Also due to everything else). I need something that will help her soon. She needs something that will boost her system.

Thank you for any advice and help you have!

Pellets I have found that may boost immunity:

Fortidiet used to be her only pellet brand she ate. She loved it and it made her loose stools become normal and solid. She is now on a different brand, but I may try this again!
(broken link removed)

This is labeled as an immune support food: I am considering getting this tomorrow when I get paid.
Harringtons Small Animal Optimum Guinea Pig Food (harringtonspetfood.com)

What she eats currently:

(broken link removed) (She loves this, but way to expensive for me!)
mixed with only the pellets of Vita Prima for the timothy based pellet as Science pellets are alfalfa based:
(broken link removed)

The best immune boosting foods are food that are well balanced in vitamins. Nothing suppresses the immune system more than being deficient in a nutrient. For this reason I would suggest instead going with Oxbow pellets. Personally I use oxbow garden select, all of my guinea pigs love them, but it is a well know issue for some guinea pigs to turn their noses up at the garden select line so it may be a safer bet to go with the essentials line.

Another thing that is known to help boost their immunity is vitamin C supplementation. If your guinea pig will take a chewable tablet that is ideal, but not all like the chewable tablets so you may need to mix it with a little bit of water and use a syringe or dropper to put it into her mouth, or you may chose to get a liquid formulation from the start. Do not mix vitamin C with their water in their water bottle because Vitamin C breaks down rapidly in light so all you will be left with is funny tasting water that can make them stop drinking.

Would the essentials pellets be better for picky pigs? The analysis of vitamins seems basically the same for both, except the essentials has vitamin C so I might go with the essentials pellets. Snowball gets the oxbow natural science Vitamin C support tabs daily. Plus lots of greens and veggies. She is just so old and I wasn't the best owner in her younger years so that kinda led to these issues. I am doing everything correct now, but I was like 12-13 and had no idea what I was really doing. Now I am 18 and actually know how to care for guinea pigs, but still learning every day!

Yes the essentials line is a better choice for fussy guinea pigs. It is great she already eats the vitamin C tablets from Oxbow.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.