Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Aggression?? Please help!!!

bowiesprout1

Cavy Slave
I have two male guinea pigs. One being 1 year and 11 months old and the other being 1 year and 4 months old (much larger than the other). They live in a 2x7 C&C cage with literally 2+ of everything (water bottles, bowls, etc.) and plenty of enrichment to keep them entertained. I have not seen any sort of aggression between the two. Although today I came home from a long shift and there were tufts of fur on the floor of the cage and each pig had 1 very minor cut/bite mark. I have cleaned both wounds with a saline solution and have checked them all over for any other wounds. I am not quite sure what to do as it is obvious there was an issue between the two, but I have never seen the two be aggressive and they have not been aggressive since I have been home. I currently have them together keeping a close eye on them. Do I separate them? It just feels wrong to do so, but I do not want it to escalate to something worse.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
If they had de-escalated the fight on their own, and no one is bleeding, then leave them together. They are at the right age to have some dominance struggles, so they are fighting to determine who is the boss. You could add some fleece forests and set up the cage in a way to break up their line of sight. Also make sure all hides have two exits so no one can get trapped in a hidey.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.