Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Seizures in elderly guinea pig

Remy_

Cavy Slave
One of my guinea pigs, Honey, who is around 7/8 years old (she’s a rescue so I’m not certain) started having seizures (or at least that’s what my mom - who’s a human doctor - said). I found her maybe 45 minutes ago laying in her cage and I thought she had passed. I picked her up only to realize she was in fact alive. She started seizing about 30-35 minutes ago. We can’t go to the vet since it is almost 11 pm and all the vets are closed. There aren’t any 24 hr clinics near me since I live in a very rural area. She has mostly stopped now and is just making soft grunting noises while occasionally spasming. My mom said she thinks she’s dying, but says if she makes it to morning she’ll get her to the vet as soon as possible. Do you think she’ll make it? Is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable?

Also, I apologize if I didn’t choose the right prefix for this topic. I’m very new to this website and I’m typing through tears so I hope you’ll understand.

I apologize for double-posting, but I can’t figure out how to edit my first post. Right after I started the topic, Honey started agonally breathing. At that point I knew my mom was right. She died wrapped up in our arms not very long after that.

I'm sorry you lost her.

I'm so sorry you lost Honey. I'm sure she's left a guinea pig sized hole in your heart.

Thank you for rescuing her. And thank you for giving her the life she deserved.

Rest in peace at the Rainbow Bridge, Honey.

I'm very sorry. My sister used to have a guinea pig named Honey. Maybe both Honeys meet and became best friends.
Have fun at the Rainbow Bridge, Honey!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.