Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores PetSmart and Petco Animals ( I need better titles)

• Thread starter GuineaPigQueen1
  • Start date

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
So I researched why PetSmart and Petco doesn’t sell rabbits and what came up was “ PetSmart ( or Petco) made the decision to not sell dogs, cats, and rabbits because they are too many in shelters.” This is true and there are tons in shelters, probably more than any other animal. But what about the countless animals that they sell in shelter right now! This makes me annoyed and also they project the wrong rabbit care! I am now officially 100% boycotting Petco and Petsmart. Not one of my pennies are going into their pockets.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
An easier thing to do would be to purchase only online or from stores that don't sell live animals. Don't forget about stores that sell animals like Petsense, Pet Supplies Plus, Pet Supermarket and the incredibly heinous Petland which uses puppy mill dogs. If you think Petsmart/Co or bad, trying enduring a Petland. Supporting rescues/shelters is the best idea. I'm not fond of purchasing unwanted animals off places like Craigslist, altho I have done this with fish.

I did try to 'boycott' pet stores for a while, after becoming vegan in 2014. The fish hobby is my life so I found myself conflicted after becoming vegan (if you don't know, vegans abolish everything that uses/exploit animals - and in this case, a vegan shouldn't be buying animals)...I didn't buy another fish until 2019 when I got really upset at a Petco. I saw a betta who wasn't doing well and attempted to get a discount on him. They refused the sale and claimed they would treat him. A week later he was on the floor being sold. An employee told me he'd been there at least 2 months (not my worst purchase tho - I bought a betta with a tumor who'd been in a bowl for 6 months and overlooked when there were no bettas left). Out of rage I purchased him at full price, and I don't regret it at all. Since then I've bought maybe 20+ bettas to rehab from poor conditions and kept them or adopted them to other people. I consider my pet store purchases (all fish, mind you) to be acts of kindness.

Unfortunately I can't really boycott anything, when I work at a vet inside a certain chain store and get a nice discount.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
An easier thing to do would be to purchase only online or from stores that don't sell live animals. Don't forget about stores that sell animals like Petsense, Pet Supplies Plus, Pet Supermarket and the incredibly heinous Petland which uses puppy mill dogs. If you think Petsmart/Co or bad, trying enduring a Petland. Supporting rescues/shelters is the best idea. I'm not fond of purchasing unwanted animals off places like Craigslist, altho I have done this with fish.

I did try to 'boycott' pet stores for a while, after becoming vegan in 2014. The fish hobby is my life so I found myself conflicted after becoming vegan (if you don't know, vegans abolish everything that uses/exploit animals - and in this case, a vegan shouldn't be buying animals)...I didn't buy another fish until 2019 when I got really upset at a Petco. I saw a betta who wasn't doing well and attempted to get a discount on him. They refused the sale and claimed they would treat him. A week later he was on the floor being sold. An employee told me he'd been there at least 2 months (not my worst purchase tho - I bought a betta with a tumor who'd been in a bowl for 6 months and overlooked when there were no bettas left). Out of rage I purchased him at full price, and I don't regret it at all. Since then I've bought maybe 20+ bettas to rehab from poor conditions and kept them or adopted them to other people. I consider my pet store purchases (all fish, mind you) to be acts of kindness.

Unfortunately I can't really boycott anything, when I work at a vet inside a certain chain store and get a nice discount.
I get that you can’t boycott them and I am not trying to force people to boycott them. And what do you mean about Pet Supplies Plus in the mills.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Unless I'm totally misremembering this, the main reason those stores stopped selling puppies and kittens is because state legislatures banned the practice.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.