Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Bonding my boars

Crazy piggies

Cavy Slave
I’m struggling with bonding my guinea pigs they do okay at floor time they rumble strut and mark their territory some but no attacking, but whenever I try to put them in the cage together they become aggressive, also at play time they are arguing about toys should I remove the toys for now?:?::?:

Crazy piggies

Cavy Slave
A picture of them

Attachments

image.jpg

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Boars need space to get along with each other. So I would start by making sure the cage is large enough. Boars should have 10 square feet, or a cage one size larger than usually recommended for the number of pigs you have. They need two water bottles and two hay piles on opposite sides of the cage. Multiple hideys with two entrances should be available so one can't corner the other and cause bloodshed. Also helpful is a fleece fringe divider or fleece forest across the middle of the cage to block the line of sight from one side to the other. Sometimes just seeing the other pig will set them off.

If this doesn't help, they simply don't like each other and don't want to bond. Separate them before there is biting and broken skin.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
How big is the cage?

I have found making a cage a minimum of 3 grids wide gives more territorial pigs the space they require not to nip at anyone walking by.

Is it a single level or does it have an upper level?

A large second level- minimum of 2x2, but larger is better- with 2 ramps also creates harmony between more territorial pigs...just make sure the downstairs is nice & large as well. Don't sacrifice space downstairs to make an upstairs.

Did you scrub the cage and any houses/huts, bowls, ect before combining them? Leftover scents can encourage territorial behavior.

Crazy piggies

Cavy Slave
The cage is one story and they have 14 square feet, thank you for all the tips!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.