Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Boar Bonding issues HELP!!!

Crazy piggies

Cavy Slave
So I had three pigs, two got along really well, one lived alone because he’s mean, but One of the two that got along died, they live in 5 by 2 C&C cage that divided in half

I wanted to know if anyone one thinks it might be possible too bond them and any bonding tips would be appreciated!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
To pick my least favorite nit, you can't bond them. You can introduce them, and they may bond tightly and be inseparable, or not bond at all. If they don't bond at all, they may tolerate each other and live together with minimal problems, or they may fight to the death.

There's absolutely no way to know what will happen until you introduce them. Here's the bible on introductions: https://www.guinealynx.info/introductions.html.

Crazy piggies

Cavy Slave
I’m going to assume they could possibly fight to death in past introductions they have drawn blood and one got abscesses that I had to deal with, I just wanted to make sure I was doing everything right

I will be keeping them separated

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The other thing to consider here, is were all three of the piggies male?

If so, the general rule of thumb is no more than two males. Three just seems to be a number that will not work, and triggers issues just like those you've described. I've tried it myself, and it failed miserably once the two babies reached puberty.

As @bpatters suggested, follow the link to the bible on introductions. You may be pleasantly surprised to find out that it could work after all.

If there were 2 males and a female, that would ALSO trigger all out war.

Crazy piggies

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the help!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.