Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Supplements Should I get Critical Care just in case my piggies stop eating?

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
I am wondering if I should order Critical Care for my piggies just in case they stop eating. It is not in stores around me and only on Amazon. Should I get Critical Care soon? I am wondering does it expire? Also is there at homemade solution just in case I don't have Critical Care?

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I would do it. Try your vet if Amazon doesn't have it. One of my vets has Oxbow and one we went to had Emeraid, so we bought that. Better to be prepared.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much I will do that when the weather is better. Oh and are you experiencing the Texas blackouts and shortages? I am if you need some prepared tips I could give you some if you like.

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
Critical Care does have an expiration date but most of the bags have a very long shelf life. I always keep a bag in the freezer. I have one unopened bag and one bag that I bought quite a while ago and just used very little. I took that bag and tried to get most of the air out of it and then I placed it into a large freezer bag and put that bag into the freezer too. I'm not suggesting that you use expired critical care but I would imagine that it would still be fine to use even if it was a few months past the expiration date.

I wanted to add that you should also keep the critical care in the package that it comes in. Do not transfer into another container.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much I will buy some soon. Thank you for the warning of switching containers because I would do that if you didn’t tell me. Will let my family know too. Thanks for answering my question I have had for a while.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
There are a few items I always have on hand:

Critical care, Syringes (for example: 1cc for meds, 10cc for feeding), Unflavored Pedialyte, Bene-bac probiotic, Simeticone baby gas drops, antifungal cream, cold-pressed coconut oil.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
Thank you for sharing! I have most of that stuff and what to use it for.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
I forgot to add a very important item to always have & use: a kitchen scale.

Weigh your guinea pigs regularly to identify sudden weight loss or consistent weight loss to catch illness before it becomes a major issue.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
Don’t worry I do weigh them to keep them healthy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.