Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Gp allergic to timothy hay...

Craftymelli7

Cavy Slave
My mom's guinea pig is having allergies to timothy hay. He gets itchy. We put a humidifier near his cage. No help at all. We even have had him treated with revolution at the vet for any possible external mites or parasites. We had a test done for internal parasites, he has none. The timothy hay makes him sneeze a bit. I have allergies to it too. We tried bluegrass and timothy from kms he won't eat it. We tried oxbow orchard grass. He won't eat it. What should we do for hay?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
It's not likely allergies but moreso a reaction to the hay dust which can get into their nose and cause sneezing and can poke their skin causing them to itch.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
There is also meadow grass and botanical grass you might try. Timothy is coarser so it’s possible there is a difference in fiber content. I don’t know if that would cause issues with digestion or with keeping their teeth worn properly. Timothy is sometimes an allergen for people with seasonal allergies. My husband who tested sensitive to Timothy grass (and lots of other things) does not have a problem around the Timothy hay. So it may depend on whether it’s the plant pollen or the hay dust that sets off the allergic reaction.

Craftymelli7

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for the help!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.