Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Ants attracted to hay!

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
We've been dealing with ants for years at our house, but never had issues w/ them in the boys' hay. I have a 25 lb box of SPS that is about half full. I came home today to find some ants all over the box. I found where they were coming from, sealed some gaps and sprayed, and moved the hay. Now the ants have drifted across the roof to find the box again. I believe they are probably in our walls or something, as I said it's been a problem each Texas spring/summer. How can I keep the ants out of the hay in the mean time?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I always stored my hay in the garage, but I never had ants go after the hay. I'd shake the rest of the box out and see if there's something in there that they're going after.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
We have a detached garage where our feral cats hang out, so it isn't a good choice. Luckily I got some Advion ant gel and moved the hay from where they were coming, and hopefully the problem is solved. They're just 'little black ants' so nothing harmful but they're infuriating.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Maybe put the box in the freezer for a while, to make sure there are no live ants in there.