Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Please help, I'm new to caring for guinea pigs!!

Aubree

Cavy Gazer
Hello, we just got our daughter 2 female guinea pigs. I have a question about cleaning up their poop. I've read where alot of people mentioned using a handheld vacuum and I'm very curious to know whether it works with bedding? I've only seen people pay about it, who use fleece and I'm not ready for that yet. So please let me know the easiest way, without my hands, to clean up all that poop!

Thank you!

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I use plastic serving tongs to pick up the poops and it works well on both fleece and loose bedding. Sometimes I do put on vinyl gloves and use my hands when I want more control. With the amount of poops generated by the piggies, two piggies is the most I can handle.

MomoPrincess

Cavy Slave
I don't think handheld vacuum will work with bedding because it might suck in the bedding with it unless you planning to suck in the poop with the bedding then it may be a good idea.... I personally use fleece but I still us pick the poop with poly gloves and then I also use a plastic scooper to pick up those poop.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I use fleece bedding and a whisk broom and dust pan. Usually poop is in the hay pile, and corners of the cage. So I have wee pads in the corners which are just homemade fleece pads with a lightweight kitchen towel in the middle for absorption. I've also heard people say they use a glove with a textured palm that is made to remove hair from pets that shed.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
I use a cat litter scoop to pick the poop up. I don't have any problems with it so far.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm with @ItsaZoo. A small dustpan and a brush to clean up poop on fleece works really well.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've been using a plain old bowl and spoon for years. Mind you, my pigs cage and pen area are plenty large enough for me to sit in. And, bless his little soul, Sly thought the bowl and spoon were his toy. If it was forgotten in the pen, he would run over and pick up the end of the metal spoon and drop it into the glass bowl to make a loud CLANK! and he would do that until you paid attention to him.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
Hey! I use a shopvac to clean up poo and dirty litter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.