Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Advice for Vet Trip

Cmac8

Cavy Gazer
Hello everyone,
Recently my female guinea pig (probably around 2.5 years old) has had some health issues. She has a scheduled vet appointment tomorrow and I’ve taken a guinea pig to this vet before but he’s a male Guinea pig and my female’s health issues seem vaginal related. Nira, my female, has recently been showing bloody spots in her litter box (discovered 2-days ago). She’s also lost some weight and normally she weights around 1.8 pounds but has dropped to 1.68 pounds. Her energy levels have gone down but she still showed normal behavior such as taking her veggies and backing up into her hut to eat them, she also approached me when I was refilling hay. She didn’t eat much other then the veggies, she barely touched her hay and pellets. She’s still drinking water and running around a little but I can see tell that she’s not feeling well. Has anyone had an experience related to this with their female guinea pig? I’m hoping the vet can diagnose. But my main question is regarding spaying. I hear female guinea pigs that have had cysts/ Uti have been offered spaying as a solution but have heard the morality rate is high and it’s a risky surgery especially since her weight has dropped. Is there anything I should ask my vet about regarding medicines or diagnosis or testomg related? Also should I bring her cage mate (female) with her? Thanks!
Nira’s living arrangements: 8 fit by 3 ft cage she shares with another female, refills litter with hay twice a day, use oxbow brand, veggies include bell peppers, red/ green leaf lettuce, carrots, butterhead lettuce- I’m building veggie intake so they are eating every other day in small portions. Fresh water daily (bottled water).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.