Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick advice needed for multiple symptoms in all 3 piggies

Bookworm Girl

Cavy Gazer
Okay sooo I noticed Cinnie (age approx a year ish) wasn't eating much and was laying down a lot. She was also hiding more than usual and not really running when I would try to pick her up. A couple of times, she would take a few steps and lay back down, take a few steps and lay down.
Latte, 3.5 months, has swollen vaginal area and when she poohs its diarrhea and gets all over herself. Shes not eating as much food either. Usually they come running when it's meal time.
Spots, acting completely normal but not as "chipper" as usual. I generally have to struggle to keep her in the cage in the mornings when I come out of my bedroom to feed them. She's always squanking like crazy, not today. None of them were talking to me which is alarming.
I gave them fresh water yesterday morning, none of it has been drank. Their food, while a little off the top, has not been eaten (Latte ate a little banana out of my hands ysterday). Their diet usually consist of Timothy hay in the evenings, piggie food pellets in the mornings, treats during the day such as peppers, the occasional carrot and apples.
On the phone with the vet now.

You need a good exotic vet, ASAP. All of those symptoms are very worrying, and diarrhea is a major emergency in guinea pigs.

Let us know what the vet says.

I took Cinnie and Latte to the vet. Latte is definitely worse than the other 2. She has lost a lot of weight. Cinnie physically is fine according to physical exam, but is obviously under the weather. She gave all 3 antibiotics and probiotics. I got Vitamin C drops ordered bc I couldn't find them locally. I picked up, at her suggestion, pedialyte and baby carrots and apples for the probiotics and hand/syringe feeding.

We are unsure of the infection, but there is definitely something so we tossed all hay and food and bought new. So now we wait and see.

We also figured out that ole Cinnie girl has an attitude and will play "limp noodle" when she is done being messed with. I almost flipped at the vets office when she did it, but as soon as I picked her up she was putting weight on her legs. The doc was like "oh year she is playing you"

Their diet usually consist of Timothy hay in the evenings, piggie food pellets in the mornings, treats during the day such as peppers, the occasional carrot and apples.

They need UNLIMITED hay all day long, not just a bit in the evening. Hay is the major portion of a guinea pig's diet and is essential to a healthy GI and teeth. Give them a nice big pile each day. Change it out for a fresh pile daily since it will get soiled. They should never be without hay, so don't limit it ever.

Also, make sure the pellets are quality pellets such as Oxbow or KMS brand so they have proper nutrition rather than junk food.

Daily fresh veggies should consist of veggies such as green leaf lettuce and green peppers. But I have found with a guinea pig who is suffering from diarrhea or mushy poop it is best to cut out all fresh veggies, fruits and treats for several days until the poops are back to normal. Focus on them eating just good quality hay and lots of it (I have good luck with adding in a large portion of 1st cut timothy in these situations).

Here is a good resource on diet: https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

And just in case, give those water bottle spouts a couple of taps to make sure water is coming out. I had some a few years back where the ball got stuck in a dripless bottle...yeah, it didn't drip but it didn't let them get water either.

Good luck and glad you took them to the vet to get checked out. I think with a little change to their diet, especially if they are also now on an antibiotic will improve things.

Just make sure with the antibiotics that they are continuing to eat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.