Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Biting Advice on nail trimming a biting piggy?

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
My piggy Robin Hood can be a biter, and when it comes to nail trims he's pretty much out for blood...So any advice is most welcome!

He's about a year old, not neutered male. He was a rescue, but we've had him since he was pretty young. He's always bit when we pick him up. I don't think it's out of fear, because he's not shy and adores being pet and stroked. I think it's simply attitude? lol

We try veggie distraction tactics, and he bites the veggie and then bites us. So far we've trimmed his nails by having him stand up on the bars (while in his cage) for food, which works perfectly for his front feet. His back feet nails thankfully haven't needed it yet, but now they're getting long.

Has anyone reformed their biting piggy? What methods helped teach them not to bite, or bite less/ less hard? And what's the best method for nail trimming a biting piggy?

Last edited:

ThePiggieLover

Cavy Slave
One of mine absolutely despises nail trimming so when the day comes I put on a very thick sweatshirt and fabric gloves. She can bite the fabric all she wants, and it won't deter me from trimming her nails. I also bring snacks to distract her as best I can even though she ignores them and tries to eat me instead. Even with that we only get one foot done per day and take it slow. I feel like if they know that when they bite you they can be free again then they will constantly bite you to get out of your arms. Be confident and trim a nail and then let him go and trim again tomorrow maybe?

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
One of mine absolutely despises nail trimming so when the day comes I put on a very thick sweatshirt and fabric gloves. She can bite the fabric all she wants, and it won't deter me from trimming her nails. I also bring snacks to distract her as best I can even though she ignores them and tries to eat me instead. Even with that we only get one foot done per day and take it slow. I feel like if they know that when they bite you they can be free again then they will constantly bite you to get out of your arms. Be confident and trim a nail and then let him go and trim again tomorrow maybe?

I've been thinking along the lines of nice thick work-type gloves, and the thick sweatshirt is a great idea, thank you!!

We already got all his front nails done today by trimming them through the bars in the way I explained above ( it works wonderfully for him! ) So happily that's only 6 toes to go when we have to hold him for his back feet. :D

"eat me instead" made me laugh...Robin Hood turns into a piggy-cula vampire the same way! Hopefully the best method will result in the least trauma for him, and the least bloodshed for us lol

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto with the gloves.

Pooper, rest his soul, had a bad attitude. Always did. Its what endeared him to me so much. This 3 lb pig though he ruled the universe and made sure you knew it.

I had to wear gloves to hold him, and have my wife cut his nails. He would bite me and bite me but never bit through the gloves. It actually got comical after awhile.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Ditto with the gloves.

Pooper, rest his soul, had a bad attitude. Always did. Its what endeared him to me so much. This 3 lb pig though he ruled the universe and made sure you knew it.

I had to wear gloves to hold him, and have my wife cut his nails. He would bite me and bite me but never bit through the gloves. It actually got comical after awhile.

That's my Robin Hood, too! He's all attitude, usually in a good way, sometimes, in this instance, not lol

What type of gloves did you use? We also always have a person to hold and a person to trim!

Last edited:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's my Robin Hood, too! He's all attitude, sometimes in a good way, sometimes, in this instance, not lol

What type of gloves did you use? We also always have a person to hold and a person to trim!

They were thick white cotton gloves, or maybe they were nylon. They had little rubber dots all over the palms and fingers for grip.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
They were thick white cotton gloves, or maybe they were nylon. They had little rubber dots all over the palms and fingers for grip.

Thanks!! If we don't already have any like that I'll get some.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.