Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Trouble with taming, need tips

guinealover101

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone!

I just joined this forum group and I just got my brand new piggie named Leo, three days ago. How should I start the taming process? I looked up videos on youtube and they are telling me different things such as just wait, and another one was to do bathtub time and it is just getting really confusing. He is very skittish, he is a single pig because he was having problems with other piggies in the shop because he would bully them. I tried to take my friends advice and use a towel to grab him but he is so terrified and he started knocking his head up and giving out a short puff of air like he is annoyed. So I am going to drop that method completely, if you guys have a step by step that worked for your piggies please let me know I am very new at this but I have researched quite a lot! :)

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I wrote a bonding step by step sort of reply here, if you want to check it out! https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...ng-and-cage-decorations?p=1017772#post1017772

Some piggies take a long time to tame and bond with their owners, while others do rather quickly. It takes them a good week just to settle into their new home with you, so I wouldn't worry about Leo yet!

A bath definitely doesn't make any sense..."buddy baths" can help with bonding two piggies, but not bonding a piggy and owner. I would only use a towel if you absolutely have to, like with a piggy that bites ( very few piggies bite for keeps, or even bite at all ).

When you pick him up, do your best not to grab at him from above, and block any hidey house entrances so you can catch him quicker. A lot of piggies always run from getting picked up, but are fine once they're out. And always reward him with a veggie treat! :)

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.