Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Sprained hind leg

Olibug80

Cavy Slave
My littlest piggie recently twisted his right hind foot, we took him to the vet the day of, 3/23 (it's the 30th now) and they gave us a week's worth of anti inflamitory meds for him and told us to put him back in the cage with his mates and he would be fine. We have one dose left and he's started to rest it on the ground when he sits or eats but still lifts it and hobbles when he walks or sucrries about, still favoring it by a lot. I think he might be hurting a bit still cuz he tussles with his cage mates when he doesn't feel like he has enough space. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with hind sprains or healing time. It's not really swollen or anything and I make sure to flex it
gently every so often so it gets movement. Should I call the vet for a refill on meds? Should I keep him separated in a smaller cage? How long should it take to heal? He started a fight with one of the cage mates so I separated him for the night so he didn't hurt himself while I try to sleep. Any info is helpful! Thanks ♥️

Olibug80

Cavy Slave
Thank you but I did read that while researching before calling the vet. I was wondering if anyone else has some more personal experience.. I've done all the research about it I just feel like I'm missing some kinda information

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He needs to be confined to a smaller place where the other pigs can't hassle him and where his leg has time to heal. You could section off a small area of the cage with grids, or put him in a small cage right next to his buddies.

I do have to warn you that separating him will mean you have to do full reintroductions when you put him back with the others, and that it may not work. But he's likely re-injuring the leg when squabbling with his buddies.

And yes, I'd call the vet for more meds. Did the vet x-ray it to make sure it wasn't broken?

Olibug80

Cavy Slave
Yes, we had an X-ray done and there were no fractures. He's the one who's always picking fights, he's little but he things he's the boss lol. they have a large 12 foot cage so I may try sectioning it off, he usually tries to climb the grid I use so ill try something else, he's been with his mates since he was very little so reintroducing them might not be so bad, thank you ! ♥️

Olibug80

Cavy Slave
I've divided the cage so he has some room to walk about but he can't go over and play with his brothers. Going to give him some time to recover and the introduce them back together. His name is D'Artagnan by the way, I never mentioned that. Thank you for all your help 😊

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Do the full introductions when you put them back together. I had two sows who were litter mates. One had surgery to remove a bladder stone, and I confined her in one end of the cage. I thought I could just open the cage up and let them back together. Wrong!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.