Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

PETITION agenst the sale of live animals over the internet

♥pepsi♥

Cavy Slave
THIS IS HORRIBLE, some sick sick SICK people are aucitioning chinchillas, guinea-pigs, dogs, cats and almost every other live animal over the internet, this is horrible, imagine when the poor animal is shipped from the u.s to say australia! would you like to be in quarintine for up to twelve months? then boxed up and shiped out, only to spend more months in quarintine?

And what if the owner only wants the animals for food or their fur, their was an incdent months ago when a kitten was bought over ebay, after being shiped from the usa to china, It was ruthlessley beaten and then eaten by its buyers,

this is a act of cruelty!

And people are illeagly buying and selling chinchillas for their pelt (fur coat)!

Please reply to this post, i wish to send it on to ebay, and hopefully stop the trade of live animals over internet.

include your name and country, and mabee a message for the SICKOS at ebay.

♥ Amber and pepsi ♥

Last edited by a moderator:

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Since you started this after reading a thread that I started. I feel that I should probably reply by stating a couple of points.

a)As I stated in the second post I made on the thread in the Kitchen, it is already prohibitted to sell live animals on eBay. That was my entire point of asking people to report the auction that I was talking about. With thousands of items up for sale on eBay every day, they can not possibly catch everything unless people report things against their policies. What do you hope to achieve by sending your petition to eBay when they ALREADY don't allow the sale of live animals.
b)If you do feel the need to start something like a petition, the thread should have been started in the Kitchen. Cavy chat is a place to discuss guinea pigs, their care and welfare. Something like this isn't necessarily something everyone wants to read, and it should be posted in and area that has a warning about heated topics.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Amen to that Percy's Mom.

Idril

Cavy Slave
Why not post some links from eBay where you see people auctioning chinchillas, guinea-pigs, dogs and cats? I have searched and found nothing. :bored:

redrocketpop

Cavy Slave
I was wondering to what effect a petition against a policy that already exists would serve, also.
If you're talking about not selling animals on the Internet in general, I'm pretty sure that would be a losing battle. Trying to stop the sale of animals on the Internet would be like telling people they can't sell animals through newspaper or magazine advertising. Only...this is the Internet and is by far the least regulated form of media in existance.

I would also like to know the source of your story about the kitten sold on Ebay and sent to China. Not saying that it's definately BS, I'd just like some reputable source.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Pepsi -

I think your heart is definitely in the right place. While the other people who have responded are correct in saying that Ebay already has a policy against selling live animals, and thus a petition against this practice would be moot, I think a petition calling for better regulation of Ebay would be warranted.

Obviously, it would be impossible for Ebay to scrutinize every single auction on their site; however, they could be petitioned to begin a regulation process for high-risk categories, like the "pets and animals" (or whatever they have named it). I think that would be a good idea, and I'd be willing to support a petition along those lines, if you care to get one up.

2pigs4rats

Cavy Slave
After searching on ebay - I found nothing about selling live animals - please could you post some links so we can check them out...thanks Pepsi.

skirbo

Cavy Slave
There are some auction sites out there that sell live animals. The pet animal sites don't usually last long because people clamor against them. There are a couple that auction horses that have lasted for years. Even the Bureau of Land Management has a site that auctions off mustangs.

You can't regulate the world.

Sarah

Cavie Cove

Cavy Slave
One thing I have noticed on Ebay is that they always seem to have snails and fish for sale in large numbers, but after reading their polacy it says they allow fish and aquatic(sp?) snails. Do african land snails come under this I wounder?

Pigaroo Mama

Cavy Slave
Well, apparently the listing for these live chinchillas has been removed. After I looked at it the other day, I put it on my "watched items" list so I could check back on it. The listing is no longer on my list. I think either the person got wise or Ebay pulled it. Bravo to us, especially Percy's Mom, for stopping this. :D

Becky cavy mad

Cavy Slave
How would you like to be shoved in a box and flown to the other side of the world? some people are so sick! Just because animals can't talk does'nt mean they should be abused!
Becky Blake

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.