Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Having Trouble With Adopted Pigs

kateanddoodle

Cavy Slave
I adopted two guinea pigs last Saturday; at the rescue, they were bright, social, and interactive. Eating/drinking well.

Brought them home 5 days ago, and they have not eaten anything beyond lettuce and occasionally bell pepper. I ignored them the first night to let them settle in, but weighed them the next day when I saw no one ate. I am now hand feeding both. One is eating from the syringe ok for now, grooming herself in my lap and grooming me, and the other fights me tooth and nail for hand feeding and freezes during lap time. I've seen maybe a single nibble at hay, but they don't appear to be eating hay or pellets. They won't accept treats I had to go out of town for a trip so my cavvy savy SO was watching them. He hasn't seen them eat hay, pellets, or drink water.

I've been in contact with the rescue about bringing them back since I don't think they're adjusting well, but want to trouble shoot before I do that. At the rescue, they were on wood shavings in a covered cage. They are on fleece, in a 4x2 C&C cage twice as big, so I have covered half and put timothy hay in the both igloos, outside of the fleece hide, and in the hay rack. All the hides, food, and water are covered. We do have dogs that bark a lot, but do not bother/just generally ignore the guinea pigs. The pigs are both down 100 g and I am very nervous.

Should they just go back to the rescue? I lost both of my previous pigs in September and really do not want to go back to dealing with GI stasis/hand feeding. I also don't want to keep them if my home isn't a good fit. The rescue is more than happy to take them back if they're not working out. What else should I try before giving up?

kateanddoodle

Cavy Slave
Yes- laid a giant fleece over half the cage as well as covered the sides. Moved all the food and water as well as hides underneath. They have a fleece tunnel they can walk through to the uncovered cage. They were very outgoing and sweet at the rescue. Do you worry about stasis though if I don’t take them out and feed them? They’ve dropped 100 grams each in 5 days.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.