Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescues Banning water bottles and favoring water bowls?

hananas

Cavy Slave
Hello,
I recently decided it was time for me to re adopt some piggies, although it has been a long time since I've had some I have decided to re do my research to see if what I know was up to date with what the community knows about our furry friends.

I've found a rescue near me that I find really nice, and they check the houses of the adopters before giving out the pigs. They seems to be forbidding water bottles and only allows water bowls for the piggies, and I'm confused as I don't really understand why?

Are water bottles bad for piggies? I plan on using fleeces bedding but I'm still worried they'd turn the water dirtybif i use a bowl, so I wanna know what could be risk with a water bottle.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Bottles are way better than bowls. It is GUARANTEED that they'll pee and poop in the bowls, which they can't do with the bottles.

Mike221

Cavy Slave
Mine have 3 water bottles. Don't know how/why would that be a risk.

And I am pretty sure one of my more active piggies would end up wet or inside that bowl while running/jumping around.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
I definitely think water bottles are better. They are cleaner, both for the water and the piggies themselves. You don't want dirty water and wet piggies! I really don't know what could be wrong with them. Just make sure they are securely attached to your cage :) I would recommend, however, to get a glass water bottle, for the best hygiene and cleanliness. Kaytee makes a really good one.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
The only reasons I can think the rescue has issues with water bottles is people don't change the water often enough; people don't check to make sure they're not clogged, etc; or cheap ones that are made of low quality plastics to be drinking from.

Every couple of days we rinse and refill them with fresh water, or whenever they're half empty. I haven't personally ever had one clog but it's always something to check. And as long as you get a high quality BPA/etc free or glass bottle you have nothing to worry about there!

Bottles are absolutely better than bowls for the reasons everyone said above: the water stays clean, the piggies don't soak the floor or themselves, etc. My biggest issue with a bowl is they could spill it when you weren't home, and possibly go without water for hours.

rosspiggys

Cavy Slave
I had the opposite problem with Ginger and Checkers. Both came as a pair from Petsmart and had water bottle only in the store. We go them to their new home and used water bottles, several so they would have to fight over it(they do it anyway but that's another story). Problem was they did not touch them. I kept checking to make sure the bottles where working, they were. But notta. so after two days of no water we tried boys. They attacked the water bowl. Since then we use bowls, we have a bottle in there, but it never gets touched. And yes the bowls have to be cleaned everyday cause well you know.

hananas

Cavy Slave
I see, thank you everyone for your replies.

I think the problem might be from bottles often being plastic and not being cleaned regularly, I think i'll try to discuss this directly this why them because I don't see myself putting bowls for them, they'll make a mess and surely end up drinking some waste.

Spotakiss

Cavy Slave
My opinion on if it has to be bowls for water or you dont get from that rescue , have bowls in the cage with water for the check then after switch to bottles. Just do that everytime they have to check

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
As an alternative to a bowl, try using a coffee cup hung by the handle on the side of the cage. I have a couple of the short old-fashioned coffee cups from a thrift store that I use for pellets. I use a short piece of wire bent like a small horseshoe that I slip through the handle to hang on the wire. The cup hangs at an angle so it’s easy to reach and stays clean.

hananas

Cavy Slave
I was able to get some explanations from the rescue!
Apparently their vets had a lot of cases when the water bottles metal part ended up deforming the back teeth of their piggies and sometimes even the jaw. Thus, they prefer to just be safe right now.

As an alternative to a bowl, try using a coffee cup hung by the handle on the side of the cage. I have a couple of the short old-fashioned coffee cups from a thrift store that I use for pellets. I use a short piece of wire bent like a small horseshoe that I slip through the handle to hang on the wire. The cup hangs at an angle so it’s easy to reach and stays clean.

This a good idea I am going to try! I'll see what work the best for my piggies once their arrive

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.