Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ovarian Cysts 2019 Bella Rose Medical Thread

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I tried to continue in her thread from last year but I can't post to it.

3 weeks ago I took bella in for what turned out to be a spur off the heel of her left paw. They trimmed it. Dr. Welsh always does a thorough physical exam no matter what. All was well except she suspected her right ovary has a cyst. She took xrays and due to her being full and some fatty areas she couldn't see the ovaries. So she said get her weight down from 968 gms it was to 850 to get rid of fat and come back in 3 mo.

Meanwhile I was stressing, reading about how it could burst and kill her and how difficult a spay in gps is. So I decided on a second opinion with Dr. Nakamura at Adobe Animal Hospital in Los Gatos who had a lot of good reviews for gps and has done many spays. I went there today.

It's a nice modern hospital. I had read reviews and it's kinda pricey. New patient appt is $105 while at Wildwood Veterinary Hospital with Dr. Welsh it's $67. Dr. Welsh does a more thorough physical exam, takes longer, than Dr. Nakamura. She also shows her love for animals by being snuggly and such. Dr. N was more business like but nice.

He looked at her nipples. They are fine. Need to watch for longer length and crusty or drainage issues. No hairloss. She's just fine on exam. Took her for ultrasound and showed a 8.3 mm cyst on her left ovary and 7.6 mm right.

Since has no issues and may never have issues, no surgery. It has it's own risks and why do it now while all is well. I agreed to just be vigilant. Decided he's the one for a spay if needed, but Dr. Welsh has great animal bedside manner, calms her down while holding her and talking to her. Just very thorough, so nice and cheaper. So I'm not switching vets unless a second surgery opinion or spay is likely needed. Asked the price for a spay and just surgery itself is $700 to $900 so not including anesthesia, po, meds, etc.

I'm very relieved and pray that these won't become problematic. He said they'll most likely grow with age but some get through their lives ok without problems with it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Copy the URL from her old thread and post it in here so people can find that medical history when they need to see it.

Here's the instruction at the top of the medical forum where you posted this new thread:

[h=3]*ONE* thread per Pig in the Med Forum! Do you have a thread that's too old to edit? Please post the URL of that thread in the first post on this thread so we can easily find the information.[/h]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.