Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Bonding

Lani Dash

Cavy Gazer
I just tried introducing one single girl with a mother/daughter. I’m very protective of all of them, but especially the one who has been living alone for about a year. I lost a piggie in the past. She was probably sick when I bought her, but I was able to have her long enough to bond with my other pig. The girls were fine for awhile, but then got into a little swirling/nipping fit. There was no hard biting, but it still frightened me. I removed the single piggie and placed a middle piece in the huge brand new cage. Then I placed her back in. I want/need them to bond. How do I got about trying this again? I’ve made a huge c and c for all of them. I really want them to have a huge space to call home and I don’t want all my time and effort making the cage to have been for nothing. I need help! What should I do? Maybe their bonding was going okay... just determining dominance. But I freaked because those are my babies. Pleeeeeeeease help me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
I just tried introducing one single girl with a mother/daughter. I’m very protective of all of them, but especially the one who has been living alone for about a year. I lost a piggie in the past. She was probably sick when I bought her, but I was able to have her long enough to bond with my other pig. The girls were fine for awhile, but then got into a little swirling/nipping fit. There was no hard biting, but it still frightened me. I removed the single piggie and placed a middle piece in the huge brand new cage. Then I placed her back in. I want/need them to bond. How do I got about trying this again? I’ve made a huge c and c for all of them. I really want them to have a huge space to call home and I don’t want all my time and effort making the cage to have been for nothing. I need help! What should I do? Maybe their bonding was going okay... just determining dominance. But I freaked because those are my babies. Pleeeeeeeease help me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of questions:
How big is the c&c cage? What is the cage design (loft, no loft)?

Where and how did you introduce them?

How many bowls, water bottles and hay bins do you have in the cage?

What kind of hideys do you have? Do they have more than one opening?

When you introduce again, put them in an extra large neutral space (not in the cage). Leave out hideys. Put in food and water bottles. Be patient with them as they get to know each other.

Clean everything in the cage and clean the cage itself.

After proper introductions, if they are just rumbling at each other they are just establishing dominance. Let it go unless blood is drawn. Once they sort out the order, things will calm down as long as the cage is big enough.

Just remember you must do proper introductions out of the cage first, the cage must be big enough to house all pigs (bigger is better) and having extras of food, hay piles, and water bottles helps.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.