Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Compressed hay for pigs?

FREshaVOCAdo

Cavy Slave
On chewy and other websites, there is this compressed Timothy hay for horses, could it be fed to piggies? I don’t know if the fact that it’s compressed would make a difference or not. It’s just Timothy hay, so even though it’s sold for horses, I figured it could still be used. Can the compressed hay be fed to pigs instead of normal hay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
I don't know anything about compressed hay for horses, but I do give compressed "hay cubes" to my guinea pigs as a treat.

I get the Timothy "hay cubes" from small pet select and have gotten the oxbow compressed timothy hay "harvest stacks". Again I used these as a treat, not as their main hay diet.

For their unlimited hay they get loose, long strand hay I order in bulk from small pet select, KMS or oxbow.

FREshaVOCAdo

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

FREshaVOCAdo

Cavy Slave
It seems pretty cheap for that amount of hay, so I’m curious if it could be used as the main hay source?

FREshaVOCAdo

Cavy Slave
Oh and what kind of places can you get hay in bulk at?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's just compressed to make the package smaller.

The thing I'd worry about is how fresh it is, and how long it's been stored in that plastic. No matter what you do to it, hay is never totally dried out, and it can mold when it's sealed up. All the hay sellers tell you to store it where there's air circulation.

My local Tractor Supply used to sell open compressed bales, but they were very poor quality -- hardly better than straw.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
I would think that the compression process would break the strands, like in the hay cubes, which my pigs nibble on now & then, but they don't go crazy for the compressed hay like they do a pile of long strand hay.

I would be concerned with the quality, being in plastic. Some of the reviews say it's good, some say it's horrible. So I don't know. I like mine in breathable containers so it doesn't mold.

I personally like KMS, small pet select and oxbow....I know that if I get a bad batch, they will send me a replacement for free because they stand by their product. I trust them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just to correct a common misconception about strands of hay... The long stems that the pigs eat are composed of the long strands that are so important for their digestive health. The length of the stems isn't important. The length of the strands isn't even terribly important. The long strands aren't brittle, and don't break easily, so the pig has to chew them. So even if they're pretty short, the pig still has to chew and gets the good effect on the molars and the gut.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Just to correct a common misconception about strands of hay... The long stems that the pigs eat are composed of the long strands that are so important for their digestive health. The length of the stems isn't important. The length of the strands isn't even terribly important. The long strands aren't brittle, and don't break easily, so the pig has to chew them. So even if they're pretty short, the pig still has to chew and gets the good effect on the molars and the gut.

Thank you @bpatters I didn't know that.

I just assumed since I'm a city girl, I would take my cue from my guinea pigs when it comes to hay...that is after I at least know I bought good quality hay.

Now I know my spoiled little furballs are just playing me when they stick their nose up at the short (1-2 inch) strands and only eat the long ones...Ugh! I sure have wasted a lot of hay!

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
I believe I once got the Standlee hay at a feed store...it was poor quality. I used to buy hay in bulk at feed stores as a bale, but they were never that great. Then a few months ago I tried Small Pet Select, and I love it! Their hay is so green and totally worth the extra money because then you're not throwing away the brown and yellow stuff you get in bulk.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
I like to buy fresh bales from a feed store -- rather than hay that is packaged in plastic. A bale weighs over 100 lbs and is super cheap (about $16). I get it when it looks green and fresh. It's worth it even if I end up throwing half if it away. Though I use it for my rabbits too. Stored properly, it will stay green for up to a year.

Attachments

100_9326.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.