Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Jin's Medical Thread

Jess12345

Cavy Slave
Hello again! I’m sorry for posting so much, but I have question, this time concerning Jin. I don’t really know if I should separate Cookie and Jin’s medical threads, and if I do need to I will in the future, but until then I will also be posting for Jin here as well.

long story short, I was petting Jin, as you do, and I noticed his nose was a bit...crusty? I remembered looking some pictures and at a thread where someone had with a similar situation (the crust near the nose) and took a look at it.
it does remind me of the thread I looked at in the past, but it isn’t exactly the same. It’s not quite as spread (if that makes sense), but that could just be because it’s something that’s new (today is the only day I’ve noticed it, and he I’m pretty sure he didn’t have it yesterday).

The crust is pretty yellow, and is in a small area of his nose. It reminds me of the fungal nose stripe (I hope that’s what it’s called), just not in as big an area. If it is fungal, I’ve heard it can be treated with Lotrimin? I know you can apply it with a q-tip, but how do you make sure your guinea pig doesn’t ingest any of it? Do you just rub it in well?

another thing it could be, and I don’t know if this is even something plausible but I thought it might be worth mentioning, is dried bell pepper juice or something? Like I said, I don’t even know if that’s possible, but I did give them some yellow bell pepper (I’ve been trying to get them to eat bell pepper, which thankfully doesn’t seem to be going too bad) and I was wondering if maybe some of the juice could have dried on his nose? That probably sounds really stupid but I thought I might as well mention anything that could be related.

other than the yellow crust he seems to be fine. He’s eating and drinking normally, and overall just acting like he normally does.

i did try to take some pictures, but that didn’t turn out so well. My phone just would not focus, and Jin wouldn’t sit still so that didn’t help either.
i will attach them anyway, to give an idea of where the crust is at, and potentially the color as well.
the pictures do have flash on, because otherwise you couldn’t really see anything.

Jin's Medical Thread

These pictures really don’t help at all they’re so blurry, but maybe someone can get something from them.
thank you for your time!

Jess12345

Cavy Slave
For some reason Bpatters reply isn’t showing up here for me, but thank you for your response! I appreciate you letting me know I do need one for each, rather than sharing one, and I also appreciate you splitting the threads!

I’ve read the link bpatters replied with, and I can go ahead and start using the triple antibiotic ointment today. If anything changes, for better or for worse, I’ll be back to update.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Basically, the reply said to look at the cheilitis article on GL.

Jess12345

Cavy Slave
Yeah, thankfully the email I got saying you replied took me there (to the reply), but it isn’t showing up here for some reason. I did read the article and I can go ahead and start using some triple antibiotic ointment on Jin today.
if anything changes, I’ll be back to give an update.
thank you for replying!

Jess12345

Cavy Slave
I wanted to do a small update since I just put some triple antibiotic ointment on Jin’s nose. It’s basically just going to be pictures, I was able to get some slightly better ones after I put the ointment on his nose:

Jin's Medical Thread Jin's Medical ThreadJin's Medical Thread

Once again, Jin does have the triple antibiotic ointment on in these pictures, so his nose is a little shiny.

I also have a question. Is the spot on top of his nose the same as what’s on his nose/lips area? I circled the place for clarification:

Jin's Medical Thread
It looks to be the same color so I would guess that it is, but would like some other opinions.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd treat them all with the triple antibiotic. But be very sure you're applying it sparingly and rubbing it in well. You don't want him to ingest oral antibiotics.

Jess12345

Cavy Slave
Thank you for replying! I tried my best to make sure I rubbed it in well, and I will continue to. I will also use the triple antibiotic on the spot on top of his nose.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.