Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ivermectin/Still biting and itching!

Rojo0191

Cavy Gazer
My Buddy started Selamectin(Revolution) treatments in January; 1x every 2 weeks for 6 weeks. By the end of treatment he was still in bad shape, itching and biting himself so severe he would go into seizures. The vet decided to put him on Ivermectin at that time and he will receive his last dose this Friday. He is STILL biting and itching severely. He has hair loss up half his back and sores from biting so much. Is this normal behavior while under treatment? Ivermectin/Still biting and itching!Shouldn't all this medicine be working by now. Also, Buddy has a vet appt this Saturday. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, it's not normal. It may be that he's not getting a strong enough dose -- we'd have to know his weight, the strength of the ivermectin, and the amount he's getting to determine that.

The ivermectin should be given once a week for at least three weeks, four if the infestation is bad. Otherwise, you'll never hit all the life cycle of the mites, and they'll just keep reinfecting the pig.

Are you seeing an exotic vet?

Rojo0191

Cavy Gazer
Thanks. Buddy's weight is about 2.8 lbs...The Ivermectin dose is 0.05 ml by mouth once weekly for 3 weeks. His final dose was today and his very first dose was by injection at vet.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
What is the concentration of the ivermectin? The bottle should say something like Xmg/mL or X%. Ivermectin comes in many different concentrations so without knowing which it is we can't know if that is a strong enough dose or not.

On a side note is there a reason why you are giving it orally? It is much more standard to give guinea pigs a topical dose (as in applied to the skin), on the natural bald patches behind their ears.

Rojo0191

Cavy Gazer
The bottle just reads 1% sterile solution. And my vet had told me to give last three doses orally. I had always read that it should be applied topically too. And his hair loss is straight up his back, not towards his ears or face. And it's all because he is still biting his back as far as he can turn his head. And since he draws blood from biting so profusely, he has wounds and scars up and down his torso.
Now, since his last dose was yesterday and he's still in pretty bad shape what would the next step be according to a vet? Remember, he's already been on a cycle of Selamectin(Revolution) and 4 doses Ivermectin. Should I wait to see if this final dose does the job or get him to vet now? By the way, Buddy seems to be in great spirits otherwise; he's drinking, eating, popcorning and still comes right into my hand from the cage for playtime.(He gets a little massage with coconut oil)...
Thanks again, any advice is appreciated.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He probably needs a steroid given concurrently to control the itching. You could see if applying a steroid cream to the area would help any at all with the itching. You can buy them over the counter at any pharmacy. Just apply sparingly with a q-tip and rub in well so that he doesn't ingest it. But if it seems to help but not resolve the problem, you may have to see a vet for a stronger preparation of it.

Also, that doesn't sound like enough ivermectin to me. Here's the treatment chart for 1% ivermectin given topically. And that's the way I'd give it -- on the bald spot behind each ear.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thanks, @Soecara. I obviously hadn't had enough coffee at that hour of the day.

barbaraparadis

Cavy Gazer
My Buddy started Selamectin(Revolution) treatments in January; 1x every 2 weeks for 6 weeks. By the end of treatment he was still in bad shape, itching and biting himself so severe he would go into seizures. The vet decided to put him on Ivermectin at that time and he will receive his last dose this Friday. He is STILL biting and itching severely. He has hair loss up half his back and sores from biting so much. Is this normal behavior while under treatment?Ivermectin/Still biting and itching!Shouldn't all this medicine be working by now. Also, Buddy has a vet appt this Saturday. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else...

Sorry to hear that. Very cute pig. Hope he will recover soon.

By the way, my name is Barbara. Glad to join this community.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.