Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage best leak proof water bottle?

My3Pigies

Cavy Gazer
Since I am new to the guinea pig world the water bottle is leaking so I went and bought another one and still the same problem which is Kaytee bottle. Help me choose the best leak proof bottle?
Thank you

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Help me choose the best leak proof bottle?

First, the bad news.......there is no leak proof bottle that I've found. I have used the most expensive and the cheapest and it doesn't seem to matter. Some bottles just leak. I find it annoying to purchase a bottle only to have to exchange it.....which means another trip to the pet store. So, here is my solution:

I take my own bottle of water to the store. (Pet stores that sell fish often have a sink nearby in the store.) I tell/ask a store employee if I may use the sink. I then fill one or more bottles with water to see if they leak. If the store employee balks at my request, I purchase the bottle, go outside in the parking lot and fill it from my personal supply. If the bottle leaks, I walk right back in the store and exchange it. I generally use the least expensive bottles from Petco.

I'm friendly with the staff at my local Petco, and one employee knows what/why I make the request. I just bought a bottle this past week and learned a couple of things from him that I didn't previously know. The tips are to be sure that the seal inside the cap is properly seated. This seal can dry out with time and cease to function as well. Fill the bottle with water and repeatedly tap the ball at the end just as your cavy would do. I tap it and squeeze the bottle to see if the water is going to drip afterward. If your cavies are like mine, they love really cold water in the summer. But, keep in mind that as the water warms to room temperature, the bottle will expand thus sometimes forcing the water out.

Keep in mind that this is just my experience. I know from experience that others here on the Forum swear by certain brands of bottles and will probably chime in.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I am one who swears by the Choco Nose H128 Patented No Drip Small Animal Water Bottle. Mine were purchased from Chewy.com and also available on Amazon. I have 4 of those bottles and after a year and half of use, one has started to drip. The most common complaint is the bottle size is only 11.2 ounces and some people prefer a larger bottle. You can easily use the nozzle with a larger soda bottle instead. The other issue is that you should tap the metal ball inside the nozzle to ensure water comes out. I've read one Amazon review where the buyer did not tap the metal ball inside the nozzle and no water was coming out, which led to his hamster dying from dehydration. Other than tapping the metal ball, I watch to make sure bubbles come up when my piggies drink. I usually only fill my bottles half full as I have only two piggies and use two water bottles at any one time. I am happy with these water bottles and would purchase them again.

[h=1][/h]

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I had a nice All Living Things bottle from Petsmart that never leaked. It was clear so I could see the bubbles coming up when my pig was drinking. Unfortunately I dropped it and the top broke. Now I have a Kaytee which sometimes drips. I put a quilted pot holder under the bottle to keep everything else dry and I check it from time to time to make sure the ball in the nozzle isn’t stuck. My pig eats pellets and then drinks water and gets pellet mush on the nozzle so I check to make sure everything is working.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.