Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Spa for Kristoff

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
Hi everybody. I need to give Kristoff (neutered male) a 'spa day', i.e. the hair surrounding his butt is yellow because he sleeps on his pee. It is really bad, I am afraid his skin will get infected or sore. I want to bathe him, at least that area, but where I live they don't sell shampoo for guinea pigs. It is also hard to get coconut oil. Any ideas on what alternative soap/shampoo I can use? Thanks in advance!
Mary.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
but where I live they don't sell shampoo for guinea pigs

Have you looked for small animal shampoo that may be marketed for ferrets or rabbits? Do you not have access to Amazon?

If not, I would seek out a non-scented, hypoallergenic very mild shampoo. So long as you don't bathe him often, it shouldn't be a problem. One of the issues with using "human" shampoo on cavies is that it produces way too much suds and it is difficult to get it out of the coat. It also may be drying to the skin.

Many of us use Kaytee's "Squeaky Clean" or a similar one by All Living Things just called "Shampoo". I don't recall if there is anyone else here on the forum from SA? If so, perhaps they can offer suggestions.

Spa for KristoffSpa for Kristoff

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You don't need a shampoo especially for guinea pigs. Shampoos for small exotic pets are usually pretty readily available in large cities.

But you need to keep his bedding dry. You can put absorbent pads in and change them daily, or change his other bedding. Not only can the skin around his genital area get infected, but he can get bumblefoot, which is much harder to cure.

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much bpatters and spy9doc. Unfortunately they don't sell shampoo for exotic pets either. I have even travelled to a huge petshop 120 kms to try and get it, to no avail. Amazon might be a good option, meanwhile, I will try the mild hipoallergenic shampoo.
OMG bpatters! I am so worried now! I clean their cage (I have 3 guinea pigs) daily, and I mean, not just spot clean. I change everything. They are on fleece and they have 3 boxes with hay, which I change everyday, sometimes twice a day. Plus, they have an outdoor run where, weather permitting, they spend several hours a day. I will be even more carefull!!!! Thank you for you quick replies!!!
I

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If they're on fleece, just make some small pads (fleece over mattress pads or towels, with the fleece wrapped around and sewed under), and change them once a day. I think you'll find it will save you some full-scale cage cleaning as well as keeping his sleeping area drier.

Marybonus

Cavy Slave
Great idea! I will definitely do that!!! Again, so helpful! Thanks!!!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Just a couple more thoughts for you. Does Christophe have long hair? If so, you need to keep the hair on his bum and around his genital area trimmed short. You can give him a "butt bath" more often than a full bath to keep that area clean. I have to do this with Sparky, my Abyssinian, who is a Dalmatian and loves to sleep in the litter box. He perpetually has a stained belly and bum despite our best hygiene efforts.

Even though my boys are pretty good at using the litter boxes, Sparky gets lazy and comfortable in his cozy and pees and poops there which, of course, causes him to be soiled. I also have small pads in the areas where they tend to hide and sleep, and as @bpatters says, they help to keep the cage drier and I can go longer without a full-scale cage cleaning.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.