Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Pig ate chicken food

Aubman

Cavy Gazer
Hello. My two guineas live with a few chickens. I was just wondering if they are going to be ok since they went after the chicken food when i put some in. Now they also have their own section to hide and eat the pig food i was just wondering if they gonna be okay.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What's in the chicken food?

Generally, pigs can survive a little bit of almost anything, but they shouldn't have chicken food.

Why do they live with chickens?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
They will be okay if it is just a once off, but they absolutely should not be allowed to eat the food long term. Chicken pellets are generally high in calcium as the chickens need to to develop their egg shells, a diet high in calcium can cause guinea pigs to develop bladder stones.

Is there any way you can house the guinea pigs separately from the chickens? That is really the only way to stop them eating the chicken pellets.

Also another thing to consider, depending on where you live, is guinea pigs are not suited to living outside as temperatures over roughly 29 celsius (84 fahrenheit) will cause guinea pigs to get heat stroke which can very quickly kill them.

Aubman

Cavy Gazer
Thanks. They havnt ever went for the chicken food before. So it was confusing.
Cuz they have a steady supply of food. And fresh vegetables as much as possible. Im in the mountains its cold here now but they have been outside for bout two years. I bit they have a temp regulater so it doesnt get too hot or too cold for anyone. The reason they ate with chockens at the moment is because i had to put the "peeps" somewhere that they would be safe from predators while we do repairs on the actual chicken coop and run. When finished the pigs will have their 12x12 and the chickens will move to a much larger space. As for whats in the chicken food id have to look when i get a few more sacks. Thanks again everyone. I know the pigs are very sensitive which is what caused the worry.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.