Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites My babies have mites!

ELELEF

Cavy Gazer
Hi Guys,

I'm have two male tri coloured GPs that are both 13 weeks old. Today when I had them out for cuddles I noticed Gilbert (more than his brother Juan) had white / cream coloured mites/ lice running around on just between his hair and skin. They both itched a lot after I had a look so I rung the vets for advice. I got an appointment and they have both been treated with something that kills mites and lice of all forms. My vet told me it takes 24-48 hours to work so I can disinfect their cage and everything in it tomorrow (it won't dry in time if I do it tonight and I don't want them in a damp hutch!).
I've had guinea pigs before but when I was much younger so this was something my mum would have sorted. Does anyone have any advice about how to prevent lice/ mites please? I fully clean their hutch 2-3 times a week and spot clean every day. I am in love with my babies and want to do everything I can to help them!

Many thanks in advance. :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you can see them, they're definitely not mites. Mites are microscopic and burrow into the skin. Lice are whitish/yellowing bugs, and they leave nits (egg sacs) which stick to the hair shafts.

Every living thing has mites -- you, me, snakes, giraffes, whatever. On occasion, the immune system's defense will be low enough that there can be an outbreak. It takes 3-4 treatments of ivermectin, seven days apart, to get rid of them.

You can get an idea how long they've had lice by looking for the nits. They're very sticky, and as the hair grows, the nit moves farther toward the end of hair shaft. Lice lay their eggs right on the skin. So if all the nits are very close to the skin, it's a new infestation. If they've moved out, they've been there a while. I'd bet on them having had mites when you first got them, and that you'll find the nits a quarter inch or so from the skin.

Why won't their hutch be dry? All you have to do is wipe it down with vinegar water.

And you don't have to pay a vet to treat them. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/111160-How-to-treat-for-mites-and-lice.

ELELEF

Cavy Gazer
Thanks for replying! The vet told me to clean it out with hot water and disinfectant and with the hutch being wooden I worried it may still be damp and I know that's not good for them! I Didn't know about vinegar water but I'll also give this a go:)
Is Ivermectin available to buy online? Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, it's just cost me ?53 to treat the both of them!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, you can buy ivermectin on line. You want either the 1% injectable solution (which you will NOT inject) or the .5% pouron. I don't know where you are, but I can buy either from Amazon in the US, and sometimes from local stores, for about $30. It's enough to treat hundreds of pigs.

If you find it, post back here and I'll point you to some dosing instructions.

Wooden hutch? Well, maybe it will still be wet. Most of us here don't use wooden hutches because they're harder to maintain.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

ELELEF

Cavy Gazer
The second one was what I had the link for. I will get the one you suggested. They were weighed today- Gilbert was 400g and Juan was 370g. What would the dosing be? Thanks again!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
https://www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin.html

That's a tiny amount per pig. You'll need a 1 cc syringe (NOT an insulin syringe), and will give .017 cc to Juan and 0.2 cc to Gilbert.

Treat them three times, seven days apart. Wait a week after their last treatment to start this series.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.