Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Hurt Leg

• Thread starter jessicaspiggies
  • Start date

jessicaspiggies

Cavy Gazer
My youngest guinea pig seemed to have hurt his front leg. I tried looking at it and it doesn't look swollen or have any scratches, but he keeps holding it when he walks. I'm pretty sure my oldest guinea pig did it to him (they are only a month apart but my youngest is the runt of the group). He is still eating fine, but I'm concerned still. Is there anything I could do to help him? (Also my eldest guinea pig hasn't hurt anyone else and doesn't seem aggressive so it may not have been him.)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is it painful if you gently manipulate it? Are you sure nothing is broken?

jessicaspiggies

Cavy Gazer
Is it painful if you gently manipulate it? Are you sure nothing is broken?

Well when I looked at it he just squirmed a little since he doesn't like being held but he didn't make any noise. It didn't look swollen and i saw no cuts, but he just keeps holding it when he walks. Sometimes during play time whenever the other pigs get close to him though he squeals though.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd keep him confined in a small area until it gets better. Don't separate him from the other pigs, but section off one end of the cage for a few days. If it doesn't get better, or gets worse in the meantime, then take him in for an x-ray.

jessicaspiggies

Cavy Gazer
I'd keep him confined in a small area until it gets better. Don't separate him from the other pigs, but section off one end of the cage for a few days. If it doesn't get better, or gets worse in the meantime, then take him in for an x-ray.

Thank you so much! I'm only 17 and my parents don't really want to take him to a vet because they are scared of costs, so I've been trying to do everything I can. Is there any over the countertop medicine that he could take that might help? I just got joint supplements from the oxford brand, but I'm not sure how well those well help.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't spend money on joint supplements since you don't know whether the problem is in a joint, or a bone injury, or a muscle sprain, or something wrong with his foot.

Here's some info on pain medications, but I wouldn't use them unless it's necessary. Most of the ones you can get over the counter could upset the stomach, and guinea pig stomachs are very easily upset.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.