Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior suddenly my piggies are biting??

livichi7

Cavy Slave
Hi! I have two female piggies that are about one. I have been handling them everyday since I have gotten them, and they love there cuddles/hugs. So they are used to being handled. But ever since I have put a loft into their cage, ( they love the loft btw) every time I hold them they bite. I try to keep my hands away from there mouths, but it seems like they are trying to bite me and it is not an accident. I have tried holding them different ways and super securely but it doesn’t seem to be working. Im not sure if they it has something to do with the loft, or not, but I just was wondering if anyone knew the cause of this or how to stop them from biting? thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Are they biting you hard, or just nipping?

A guinea pig has sharp teeth, and if one is trying to bite you, you'll know you've been bitten. There'll be no question about it.

But nipping and tasting are the way they interact with the world, and they may be trying to tell you something. Everything guinea pig I've had has nipped and pulled at my clothing when I was holding them and they wanted to be put down. Or tried to taste my hands if I'd been handling food.

If they're just uncomfortable with being handled at all, you might want to treat them for mites. Mites make a pig very cranky, because it's not comfortable for them to be touched. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/111160-How-to-treat-for-mites-and-lice.

I doubt seriously that it has anything to do with the loft.

Graceful.piggy

Cavy Gazer
If there’s nothing medically noticeably wrong, than I’d say this is fairly normal. I used to have a pig that just wasn’t a big fan of being held or touched around her face. If you don’t already, feed some veggies when u hold them to try to incorporate good things with being held. I wouldn’t worry about it too much, piggies are just very curious creatures and could be nipping cause they want food! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.