Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece I Take My Hat Off

peppasmum

Cavy Gazer
I?ve just been ogling all the palaces some of you have for your bubs..... WOW!!
Ive got a simple homemade open multi level ply and Perspex cage that I was so proud of making until I saw all those incredible set ups!!

my question is how the heck, with all those fleece lined levels and crawl spaces and huts and everything, do you ever stay on top of the cleaning duties :eek:hmy::eek:hmy:??? I used fleece ONCE (and at that stage I only had 3 piggies) and after 48hrs I resolved never to attempt fleece as a ground cover EVER again lol in my instance I quickly learned that a quality recycled paper designed for small animal substrate was the way for me.

I mean the fleece looks great and cosy and really gives the enclosures that extra charisma, but.... what?s the secret?? How do you not have a full time job of washing drying and rotating all that fleece everyday? I had to throw my fleece out after 48hrs!! 😂😂

So please someone let me in on the secret? i honestly have take my hat off to THAT level of dedication . It really does look effective!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Secret number one: it doesn't work well in small spaces. The bigger the cage, the better fleece works.

Secret number two: it doesn't need to be washed every day. The urine should wick through to the absorbent layer underneath. The poops and some of the hay can be swept up or shaken out. The rest of the hay will stay until you brush it off before you put it in the washer.

Snugglybutt

Cavy Slave
Did you have any absorbic layers under your fleece? With fleece properly wicked, urine goes straight through the fabric and soaks into the absorbic layers. My liners have 2 layers of uhaul furniture pads sewn in them and under my liners I have a bed protector just in case anything seeps through. Every night I vaccum/scoop out poops and excess hay. I only wash my liners once a week or when they start to smell/feel damp. Before I put them in the wash, I shake them off on the floor (which is tile so I can just sweep it up) so the washer doesn't get full of hay. The whole process of doing a full cage clean only takes me 30 minutes as I have many cage liners so I don't have to wait for the dirty ones to wash/dry.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.