Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Help..liquid is not soaking in!

AprilsMom

Cavy Slave
I just got April?s new Midwest cage. I bought 2 fleece blankets at Walmart. First I washed them with little detergent and warm water, thru them in the dryer, next I washed them 3 more times with no detergent in warm water and dried between each time. I did a water test but water sat there. So I then put them back in the washer in cool water this time, thru in dryer. Water test, still nothing. After reading some posts in here, somebody said they used hot water, so they are back in the washer in hot water. Now that?s 6 times. If this doesn?t work, am I doing something wrong? No fabric softener or dryer sheets were used and just a little detergent was used in first wash only. Please help! I?d like to get April in her new cage tonight. Also, Walmart, Walgreens and goodwill are the only places nearby. They nearest Joann?s or fabric store is an hour away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hot water, strong detergent, and some bleach. That'll strip the layer that waterproofs it off.

AprilsMom

Cavy Slave
Hot water, strong detergent, and some bleach. That'll strip the layer that waterproofs it off.

Thank you! Is there a detergent brand you can recommend? I used Purex with oxy clean. Otherwise I have Tide but it has a ?mountain breeze? scent that?s pretty strong. The Purex doesn?t smell very much which is why I used it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I use unscented Tide.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I use All Free & Clear for both piggy and human laundry.....absolutely no scents used in our household. I wouldn't use Tide "anything" as I find the smell so offensive.

Once the fleece is out of the dryer, lay the fleece on a towel and see if the water soaks through the fleece to the towel underneath. The whole idea is to have an absorbent layer under the fleece that will wick the urine through the fleece and leave little piggy feet and belly relatively dry. Most of us love the uHaul pads because they are superb at this, plus their being quite large and inexpensive.

AprilsMom

Cavy Slave
I use All Free & Clear for both piggy and human laundry.....absolutely no scents used in our household. I wouldn't use Tide "anything" as I find the smell so offensive.

Once the fleece is out of the dryer, lay the fleece on a towel and see if the water soaks through the fleece to the towel underneath. The whole idea is to have an absorbent layer under the fleece that will wick the urine through the fleece and leave little piggy feet and belly relatively dry. Most of us love the uHaul pads because they are superb at this, plus their being quite large and inexpensive.

Ok. I?ll have to test it. One more question...Can I put a paper plate under the hay rack? Im trying to contain the mess as best I can but I?m not sure the paper plate is safe for her if she chews on it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mine chew paper plates all the time, but I'm very careful not to use the ones that are coated with plastic.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
My cavies's favorite part of a meal is the plate! That's why I don't use them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.