Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Help! Extreme dominance/aggression from sow?

jenapher

Cavy Slave
Yesterday I made a post about Dima and her breed, but today we had some unusual behavior from her.
After my mom held Ziggy for about 15 mins, she put her back, and immediately Dima began chasing her around relentlessly and rumblestrutting. Ziggy was scared and ran around popping/wheeking. This went on for about 5 minutes closely supervised, and twice at least she managed to fully mount Ziggy. This is the first time I've ever seen a pig manage to get fully on top of another, humping and all.
My mom was very worried and took out Ziggy, and decided to try to separate them. I suggested instead that I try to hold Dima and calm her down. I held her for a while and she refused to stop wiggling, headbutting things and biting my sleeves/fingers. I don't like to try to physically restrain her and I have no idea how to get her out of a temper tantrum like that!

We separated them for now and are unsure of what to do next. They are still side by side.

Their cage was 2x5 cubes (we don't use coroplast, foam on the floor and blankets over top) and they have two feeding areas and beds. Both were surrendered and adopted by us at ~1.5 years old, probably never having lived with another pig. Next monday we have an appointment to spay them both.

Does anyone have suggestions on what to do about their behavior in the meantime? Or if it continues after the spaying? And does anyone have a suggestion on calming her down during her temper tantrums?

I'd think the spaying should help, a lot.

If you're going to keep them separated until after the surgeries, you'll have to do full reintroductions again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.