Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Baby Guinea pig Questions regarding eating and more...

schpooko

Cavy Slave
Hi, all.. I am new to this pregnancy guinea pig situation, I got my new Guinea pig, Wilma, from a rescue on December 13th and when I got her she said she might be pregnant and last week when I was holding her I notice her sides were extended and I could start to feel things moving around...So I have some questions... I would like to know when the babies start to eat? What about fresh veggies? How long do they nurse from the mother and when will they wean? I was wondering if you can tell me an alfalfa pellet to buy for my pregnant guinea pig. I will have to order stuff online from amazon ( I have prime to ship for free). Can I just get the hay or do I need both? I know that after she gives birth its best for her to switch back to timothy hay but the babies stay on alfalfa stuff til when? Am I right about some of the things I said ??? Any advice for this nervous Nelly would be appreciated. Thanks for answering I really need the help.

Sincerely

Nervous

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They can all eat timothy hay and alfalfa pellets. They can all even eat timothy pellets as long as you give them some calcium rich veggies -- parsley, small amounts of kale, etc. That way you don't have to manage two diets.

Any boy pups have to be removed at 21 days of age. The girls can stay with mom, and she'll wean them at about four weeks of age. But it won't hurt the boys to be weaned at three weeks.

They'll eat very soon, and they'll eat whatever mom does. You don't have to worry about extra food for them.

The very best pellets are KMS Hayloft -- they're the absolute freshest. You order them online. The only other brand I'd consider feeding is Oxbow.

You can get good online hay at far less cost than from a pet store or Walmart from Small Pet Select, American Pet Diner, Sweet Meadow Farm. If you've got a local farmer who grows timothy, that's your cheapest bet. Hay in small bags from pet stores is more than twice the cost of other hays, and is usually dry and dusty.

Good luck with things. You might to read https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.